H660GM-A vs AOT-4221SR: Which is the Better ONT for Airtel in Bhopal?

ISP
Airtel
Hi All,

I got Airtel Fiber installed not too long ago and while they promised Nokia/ZTE/Dasan I ended up with Serrcomm's aot-4221sr. I have an open case with NCH -sidenote. Now I have been told they are installing h660gm-a2. So the question is should I have it replaced with Dasan;s h660gm-a?

Pain/Main points
  • Wifi range
  • Lan latency - packet handling etc
  • Slow speeds
  • Plan - 200 mpbs plan
  • bridge mode - which is allowed on my existing Serrcomm's one or so I have been told

My House is not that big to warrant an extender and the ONT is placed centrally, I would buy my own router and use their ONT in bridge mode down the track rather than their mesh/range extender

So would Dasan's h660gm-a be a better choice considering the above points? I assume it could also be configured as a bridge.

Please advise, thanks in advance!

Both are equally trash.

Getting your own router would be a better choice in the long run although setting it in bridge mode might be a little tricky. I have set the sercomm router in bridge using the guides available on this forum.
Don't rely on ISP provided router if you are expecting decent performance.

@ryuk_ yeah I understand that but some users have reported that the Dasan is better than Serrcomm. well, I have case open at consumer forum re the device supplied (false promises) as the entire connection was based on not getting the aot-4221sr. Dunno how much that would help, but the local installation manager told the TL of the sales team that the sales member made false promises and they all threw him under the bus even though the guy confirmed with the 'backend' - as i had confirmed on 4 different occasions that I will get a 'better' router. I can still cancel the connection and a get full refund but the poor guy (not so pooor - he should have known better) will need to pay out of his pocket, lose commission, and some sort of HR action. Consistent complaining helps but I didn't wanna go that route.

So I'm wondering if I should get the Dasan in the meantime as I will changing houses so will get a beast then.... so the question stands how locked down is Dasan h660gm-a if anyone here could answer while I scour thorough the internetsss, cheers

I did make a thread about bridging the Dasan, it is really locked down. Can't even change SSID names, the SSID has Airtel_SSID prefix and every wan setting is locked down except DNS.
Setting it up in bridge mode and using my own router was the only way I could stay sane with Airtel.
The Quality of the connection itself is great but the hardware itself is kinda iffy.

dude I was just going thru that lol - Dasan H660GM-A Bridge Mode

Now I need to figure out if can bridge it myself on my exiting ONT - AOT-4221SR- as well how unlocked it compared to the Dasan on the current firmware. First impressions say I got more liberty on AOT-4221SR

Device Information​

Device Name
Vendor
Serial Number
Hardware Version
Boot Version
Software Version
Agent Version
[td]AOT-4221SR[/td] [td]Sercomm[/td] [td][/td] [td]10.0[/td] [td]0320[/td] [td]AOT4221SR_R4.0[/td] [td]en7528_AA_P_1.1.3.72[/td]

@UncleSamGoaWale I have been in the same boat as you an year ago trying to figure out which is the best or least crappy ONT from Airtel. Short answer: all of them are crap except a few like the ZTE one. Even the Nokia one is crap. I don't think you will be able to source the ZTE ONT as Airtel doesn't provide that anymore. It's mostly sercomm here in blr.
Better to go for TP-Link Archer C6 or AX10 if you need Wifi 6. These are the most vfm routers and you won't regret investing money into this. You can setup the sercomm ONT in bridge, it is a little tricky but not that difficult.

Thanks @ryuk_ Could you please confirm your ONT's model and current firmware that's has bridging enabled?

Mine - AOT-4221SR and fw - AOT4221SR_R4.0

yeah I will defs go for a router of my own perhaps an Asus one, but right now I'm trying to figure that my ONT with it's current fw can be bridged. I understand i gotta email the airtel NOC team and then making certain changes on the ONT, are those settings locked? I'm pretty sure Airtel allows bridged so maybe they can also assist with the ONT config side of things? or are they useless. just dont have the time to investigate atm.

A quick search of the forum indicates the Dasan's are locked over 9000 with the latest fw. So I might be better off just sticking with AOT4221SR for now?

I can't go the bridge route until my new house is complete in a couple of months so I can deploy an app router. but if in the meantime Dasan's can provide a better range and Airtel is willing to enable bridging (future proofing) I might explore that option too. Worse come worse I can have relaced with AOT4221SR upon service relocation.

I have heard that Dasan has slightly better and stable coverage.

Back