Hathway Broadband catches up with Hayai Broadband already...

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 16,378
And that too comparing Hathway which is easily by far the worst broadband provider :D

I met someone who uses Sify the other day. Don't hear too much about them these days - are they still as bad as I've read?

----------

But yes there is light at the end of the tunnel. They have priced the 5Mbps/5GB at just 599.
As this thread is referenced to hayai, i can say their price matches hayai, they have claimed to 'give' some 5 odd GB at that price.

Except it would be quite silly to take our data plans and buy only 5GB. You'd be much better off on Hayai Lite in that case at Rs299, which is about half the price.

hope DOCSIS 2.0 upgrade will do some good...

You mean DOCSIS 3.0, and even then only in select places - which is fine, I'd really like to see them deploy 100mbit/s plans to compete with us - at any price - in those areas.

The rest of the country is still on DOCSIS 2.0 which "only" supports 38mbit/s. Even then, Hathway should deploy some 30+mbit/s plans on that infrastructure and, ya know, compete with the rest of the market. If they did that, they'd force all the DSL players (which max out at 24mbit/s) to upgrade everyone's speeds too, which would be awesome.

End of the day, the high speed plans don't have to be unlimited, just good value - 25, 50, 100, 150, 200, 250GB options (with FUP or whatever) at line speed... it's not asking for too much, IMHO.

Sify...Hathway...Spectranet..Relaince Communication (BB)...are sm of the companies which were made to make sure Airtel increases their userbase :P

@MG - Bad or not - I am fully confident they would not have become any better....

I met someone who uses Sify the other day. Don't hear too much about them these days - are they still as bad as I've read?

They were building there own submarine cable i guess as i last read in newspapers...otherwise they are pretty much dormant nowadays.:hypnotized:

Except it would be quite silly to take our data plans and buy only 5GB. You'd be much better off on Hayai Lite in that case at Rs299, which is about half the price.

You mean DOCSIS 3.0, and even then only in select places - which is fine, I'd really like to see them deploy 100mbit/s plans to compete with us - at any price - in those areas.

The rest of the country is still on DOCSIS 2.0 which "only" supports 38mbit/s. Even then, Hathway should deploy some 30+mbit/s plans on that infrastructure and, ya know, compete with the rest of the market. If they did that, they'd force all the DSL players (which max out at 24mbit/s) to upgrade everyone's speeds too, which would be awesome.

I was talking wrt to the fact that if both of u can offer 5GB @599 pm then going linearly as per as your theory they can end up matching ur prices at all price points.

About other MSO players there is a news i think that the top four company's are going in for consolidation to compete with DTH. That could lead to some bright future.
About hathway in particular i think they and everyone else are waiting for that govt. ordinance or law to make digitization mandatory. That will justify their investments to their shareholders. Then may be we will hear some good things from their side like pan India docsis 3.0 upgrade or something like that. After all they are 5th largest ISP:Freaky:..

They were building there own submarine cable i guess as i last read in newspapers...otherwise they are pretty much dormant nowadays.:hypnotized:

That's what they announced. Instead they "activated capacity" on EIG - I think this puts them in a similar position to BSNL now, except that AFAIK they don't have an actual stake in the cable (whereas BSNL does).

I was talking wrt to the fact that if both of u can offer 5GB @599 pm then going linearly as per as your theory they can end up matching ur prices at all price points.

That would be nice.

About other MSO players there is a news i think that the top four company's are going in for consolidation to compete with DTH. That could lead to some bright future.

Not in Broadband, AFAIK. It would be nice, though, as it would mean that we would be able to use existing infrastructure to deliver services - and good for customers who want Hayai because, Hayai would almost certainly have to come up with an "in the middle" product to fit between Hayai Lite and Hayai FTTH, delivered on copper (whether ADSL, cablewalas, fttb, co-ax or whatever) with speeds up to 20, 50 or 100mbit/s (depending on the technology in place).

About hathway in particular i think they and everyone else are waiting for that govt. ordinance or law to make digitization mandatory. That will justify their investments to their shareholders. Then may be we will hear some good things from their side like pan India docsis 3.0 upgrade or something like that. After all they are 5th largest ISP:Freaky:..

Yeah but what does that mean, exactly? It's a pity that VOIP-PSTN integration isn't legal yet because that's a killer application on HFC networks like Hathway's - it's common overseas for companies like Hathway to offer the exact same services which are available on DSL, but ever so slightly better.

In most cases, the prices end up being the same, too, so it's consumer's choice:

[*]On the local telco, they would get max-speed Internet (probably around 16mbit/s on ADSL, 30-50mbit/s on VDSL) + regular phone service + maybe IPTV if they're running on VDSL.

[*]On the local cable provider, they would be able to offer max-speed Internet (probably up to 30mbit/s Internet on DOCSIS2, 100mbit/s on DOCSIS3), VOIP and either regular cable TV or IPTV.
[/list]
And if the providers do end up consolidating networks (please please please) then I would hope to see just such services begin to spring up.

Not in Broadband, AFAIK. It would be nice, though, as it would mean that we would be able to use existing infrastructure to deliver services - and good for customers who want Hayai because, Hayai would almost certainly have to come up with an "in the middle" product to fit between Hayai Lite and Hayai FTTH, delivered on copper (whether ADSL, cablewalas, fttb, co-ax or whatever) with speeds up to 20, 50 or 100mbit/s (depending on the technology in place).

consolidation will be broad based otherwise again costs will jack up. Hence BB of all players will come under one umbrella at least from back end side.

Yeah but what does that mean, exactly? It's a pity that VOIP-PSTN integration isn't legal yet because that's a killer application on HFC networks like Hathway's - it's common overseas for companies like Hathway to offer the exact same services which are available on DSL, but ever so slightly better.

In most cases, the prices end up being the same, too, so it's consumer's choice:

[*]On the local telco, they would get max-speed Internet (probably around 16mbit/s on ADSL, 30-50mbit/s on VDSL) + regular phone service + maybe IPTV if they're running on VDSL.

[*]On the local cable provider, they would be able to offer max-speed Internet (probably up to 30mbit/s Internet on DOCSIS2, 100mbit/s on DOCSIS3), VOIP and either regular cable TV or IPTV.
[/list]
And if the providers do end up consolidating networks (please please please) then I would hope to see just such services begin to spring up.

about hathway i meant they are holding up huge investments as of now in lieu of govt. roadmap for digitization.

VOIP-PSTN integration is just round the corner...New telecom policy due in nov/dec will open up VoIP sector for sure. Then all this players can offer true triple play services like their counterparts....

consolidation will be broad based otherwise again costs will jack up. Hence BB of all players will come under one umbrella at least from back end side.

Wrong way around. They'll keep their backends separate but deliver services over the same infrastructure. Hopefully.

VOIP-PSTN integration is just round the corner...New telecom policy due in nov/dec will open up VoIP sector for sure. Then all this players can offer true triple play services like their counterparts....

Not so sure. It's been recommended, but who knows. All I can say is that it's way easier and cheaper for the government to monitor VOIP calls than PSTN ones which is the concern they're always expressing, so I'm not entirely sure why they have not embraced VOIP.

Wrong way around. They'll keep their backends separate but deliver services over the same infrastructure. Hopefully.

By back-end i meant bandwidth buying, purchasing bulk stb's/cpe's for lower pricing making submarine cable consortium's and all that stuff....

Not so sure. It's been recommended, but who knows. All I can say is that it's way easier and cheaper for the government to monitor VOIP calls than PSTN ones which is the concern they're always expressing, so I'm not entirely sure why they have not embraced VOIP.

Our very own heavy weight mukesh ambani is there to make sure it does go through the NTP 2011...:skeleton:

By back-end i meant bandwidth buying, purchasing bulk stb's/cpe's for lower pricing making submarine cable consortium's and all that stuff....

This already happens to some extent. It will be great when all that's required to change service providers is similar to MNP as it is now: a phone call, new submission of documents and then wait a couple of days for the service to be switched over and billing from the new service provider to start.

Our very own heavy weight mukesh ambani is there to make sure it does go through the NTP 2011...:skeleton:

AFAIK, LTE isn't being deployed for voice services at this stage - in fact, under the current laws it can't be (LTE is basically an all-IP network) but hopefully he can twist the right arms.

Back