Hosting a web server on DSL

• Thread starter Thread starter angad_singh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 42
  • Views Views 20,925
Can u change port used by modem itself?? like if admin pages can be done on some port other than 80 ;)Also read up ur modems guides there should be port forwarding features . or disabling admin services or chnging their port .

Now, the last reply was a real funny won.Firstly, there are is not Modem Manual for this cheap modem. Even the Airtel peeps don't have one.Secondly, I already mentioned earlier, that this modem doesn't show any setting for port forwarding or for disabling the admin server.Although, i can telnet into 192.168.1.1, but hey, i don't know how to use it.The telnet commands offered by the modem are : consolesource Read a file of commandshelpethernetsystemuserimdebug Directly access the information modeltransports Bearer channels in useipoaip Configure IP routerigmpgs7070pppoapppoerfc1483 Manipulation of RFC1483 transportsbridge Configure layer 2 bridgedhcpclientdhcpserver DHCP server configuration commandsdhcprelaydnsrelaydnsclientnatwebserverport Physical port configuration commandsIf anybody knows how to configure th modem's NAT through telnet or something, please tell the solution!!My problem is solved, but there may still be people like sushub who can't use the USB modem probably because they have Linux as the OS, or some other reason. So, I REQUEST ANYBODY WHO KNOWS THE SOLUTION, PLEASE TELL US!!

Good news. I tried port forwarding in the Yozan DSL modem the following way:

1. telnet to it
$ telnet 192.168.1.1

login and p@$$word "admin"

on the --> prompt
type
---> console enable

now the prompt becomes
192.168.1.1>
at this prompt
try
192.168.1.1> nat inbound add yoon-0 6881/tcp 192.168.1.2

replace yoon-0 with your wan link, 6881 with port # you wanna forward, tcp or udp and 192.168.1.2 with ip of your computer.

You can add any number of port to be forwarded in this manner.

There are delete commands also, but haven't tried them.

To see what you configured:
192.168.1.1> nat inbound list

To save the config try
192.168.1.1> config save

Sometimes, it gives "no such command" for valid commands too. Just do exit and console enable and try again

logout from telnet seesion; i do escape ] and quit.

A manual is also available for ATMOS used in the modem, try the link
http://www.solwiseforum.co.uk/downloads/fi..._80_console.pdf

Good luck and if you break anything, I'm not responsible ;-)

Hi all ,

This is to inform everybody that I've found a good & permanent solution to the problem

Port mapping is not the solution, as u can't keep adding ports via telnet as described above.

I know the permanent way of getting your external IP address to be @$$igned to your computer instead of your Ethernet DSL modem, so that all incoming on all ports will reach ur computer's apps. (eg.-http,ftp,pop3, or even game ports,etc.)

If anyone want's to know more, plz contact me via email @ [email protected] or via msn messenger @ [email protected]

This page has become very popular on google (try searching for "airtel broadband webserver" and it'll be the first result!!!!), so I don't want to disclose this info here!!

Originally posted by angad_singh@Jan 29 2005, 08:16 PM
This is to inform everybody that I've found a good & permanent solution to the problem[snapback]5214[/snapback]
[/quote] :blink: Changing ISPs ?
:lol: j/k

You're online on msn, but seem to not be there... (messaged you)

Originally posted by angad_singh@Jan 29 2005, 02:46 PM
Hi all ,

This is to inform everybody that I've found a good & permanent solution to the problem

Port mapping is not the solution, as u can't keep adding ports via telnet as described above.

I know the permanent way of getting your external IP address to be @$$igned to your computer instead of your Ethernet DSL modem, so that all incoming on all ports will reach ur computer's apps. (eg.-http,ftp,pop3, or even game ports,etc.)

If anyone want's to know more, plz contact me via email @ [email protected] or via msn messenger @ [email protected]

This page has become very popular on google (try searching for "airtel broadband webserver" and it'll be the first result!!!!), so I don't want to disclose this info here!!
[snapback]5214[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hi Angad,

Can you please post the method to permanently getting your external IP address @$$igned to your computer instead of DSL Modem.

My VPN connection to my HO fails to connect over the present DSL config. I think that this will allow it do so. The technical help from Airtel simply told me that I need a business package to do that.

Tks

I gave up trying to do it (server with yozan modem).The company recommends using their router if I need (what they call) business-cl@$$ services.Moved back to a USB modem. The reason I did not want this in the first place was frequent connection drops (therefore neeeded to re-dial) and the fact that the USB modem don't work in linux.Got solutions to both of these issues. First, no more bothering with dialing - just put the task to dial into the connection into the cron daemon's startup tasks (after that, configure it to keep checking if connection works every 5 mins, if not work then re-dial automatically). And hosting the server was simple enough after this.[needless to say, because of the cost involved I had to move to 24-hour connection - plus I got the generic drivers for that modem to work in linux :D]

Very good news guys!!!

I have finally created the web page for the problem at

http://airtelbroadband.cjb.net
(web page dumped and removed due to legal issues)

Now, you may go there, read the solution to the problem, and download screenshots to believe that it works and is better than any other workaround!!

Back