How to get my ISP to route the network to my ip?

• Thread starter Thread starter thorbhau
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 1,335
ISP
Airtel
Hi Guys I have setup a small home lab where me and my friends will spin up a virtual machine and try our ideas if works. I am going to apply for ASN Number and get a block of ips for the same. If I get ASN then how can I ask my ISP (Tata Play Fibre) to do BGP for me? Will they do it or outright refuse it?

PS - Most of the people I call on customer care do not know about what I want to ask.

you changed from airtel to tata play?

Yup I changed to tata play. Getting a better service for now. But did not cancel the old connection as they were not giving the refund. Desperation of IP's is awesome 😓

The effort I have put in with airtel was just tremendous.

Sorry if the question is noob I am new to the terminology. By -

If your upstream is a single ISP and you only have one subnet, then you don't need BGP.

You mean that if I get one subnet (maybe of 32 ips from IRINN) and have just one upstream provider then I dont need BGP?

But then how will the route to my network be formed if I don't peer using BGP.

Am I missing some concept, maybe did not understood it. Can you please explain a bit more? @Lolita_Magnum

No, no, I mean you will advertise the IPs, but you do not need the ISP to advertise their routes as well. Just a default route.

You can also instead just not get an ASN and advertise over private ASN range. Although not many ISPs agree to doing this.

Lastly, you can also instead take your IPs to a cloud provider like AWS and ask them to advertise for you.
All you would need then is tunnel between the EC2 and you.

Thanks for responding I am getting more depth of the topic now. For -

No, no, I mean you will advertise the IPs, but you do not need the ISP to advertise their routes as well. Just a default route.

Can you provide some resource maybe I can read through. I wish had drilled in networking more in college.😅 @Lolita_Magnum

What's the benefits of ASN+IP range over just a static IP? Anything missing in having a static IP?

Back