How to get my ISP to route the network to my ip?

• Thread starter Thread starter thorbhau
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 1,335
ISP
Airtel
Hi Guys I have setup a small home lab where me and my friends will spin up a virtual machine and try our ideas if works. I am going to apply for ASN Number and get a block of ips for the same. If I get ASN then how can I ask my ISP (Tata Play Fibre) to do BGP for me? Will they do it or outright refuse it?

PS - Most of the people I call on customer care do not know about what I want to ask.

Someone needs to release their IPs for you to get it for yourself, as there are no freely available IPs available to buy.

The only benefit of having an ASN+IP is so you can use multiple redundant transit links, your connecting peers get the flexibility to use the transit their ISPs are more feasible with.

Else, for a single ISP transit, you can just ask the ISP to provide you with additional Public IP subnet for LAN. They will do it, but it is not possible over a residential connection.

@Lolita_Magnum

But if someone has ASN and IP assigned then they can use default route for home connection as well right if they do not want go for multiple links for now?

Back