• Thread starter Thread starter vaibhg
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 8,272

vaibhg

ISP
mtnl
hello...:)
I want to host a web server on my computer:P. i am using mtnl broadband having router UT-304R2.
i have installed a good web server software and i can open my site through lan addrs[192.168.1.5] and local loopback addres [127.0.0.1] but i am unable to acces dat site from WAN IP :(

plzzz help me out....
thanx

Till you have a static address you cannot.... I mean its not that you cannot; but there is not point as others are required to know the IP address of your computer they want to connect to......so your IP has to be static.... your LAN IP address is static but thats not the case with your WAN IP

To know wether you have a static address or not goto What Is My IP Address? - IP Address Lookup, Info, Speed Test, and more
... note your address.... then restart your modem or disconnect and reconnect to the web..... check your IP again....

If it is the same great..... else there is no point in hosting a web server since you have a dynamic address... and in most of the cases you'll definitely have a dynamic IP....

unless you can update the DNS servers everytime you connect and reconnect from the net...thats theorotically

kingpin is right in one way.. but there are services like DynDNS: Dynamic DNS, E-Mail Delivery and Other Services and No-IP - Dynamic DNS, Static DNS for Your Dynamic IP which have services which let you host even on dynamic addresses.. they normally have 2 plans.. one is a free plan where you can get a domain name like myname.servehttp.com or myname.no-ip.org .. the other service is paid comes upto around 30$ which allows you to get a domain name like myname.com these services come with a software, for example no-ip.com has a software called no-ip DUC which you should install in your computer.. and as soon as your ip changes(incase you restart your modem or every 24 hrs) it will be updated in their servers.. so whatever happens you can access your webserver(which is on your computer) anytime using myname.servehttp.com(if you opt for free service) or myname.com(if you opt for paid service).. for more details go to No-IP - Dynamic DNS, Static DNS for Your Dynamic IP and read about no-ip free and no-ip plus

thanxs for the rplies....:)
i have for dynamic ip but i will apply for static ip soon.but i want to ask how to acces my web server through wan ip.:confused:

@abovebut dude....this "no-ip" is useful only when anyone is able to acces my web site hosted on my comp thru my wan ip only.but the problem is i cant acces my site through wan ip !!!:(

Try using bridged mode... It should work with bridged mode...

@superprash2003how to open that port 80 ??is that setting virtual server on port 80 for private ip 192.168.1.5 ?? @venkzhow to use bridge mode on mtnl broadband ??when i configure bridged mode my net got disconnected....does mtnl b.b supports bridged mode ??

Technical Details
go the bottom of the page and download the manual for your modem.
In WAN page select "bridged" Then you have to use dialer to connect and all ports are open.
Start/allprograms/accessories/communication/ network connection wizard.
In Network a wan/miniport icon will appear.
If you post the screen shot of the pages of the modem, where you have doubt, users here can help.
To access Advanced options you may have to enter 192.168.1.1/main.html
to access the PF pages.

Back