How to sideload apps on Reliance Jio Fiber Android set-top box?

• Thread starter Thread starter Evilbrain
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 278
  • Views Views 137,134

Evilbrain

ISP
Airtel
Got my STB today, tried to install jio tv apk but it seems like the box is locked or whatever i am not able to enable the "unknown sources" thing in the settings.

@abhishjha the Jio tv plus app redirects to Hotstar app but i can't seem to find Live tv channels maybe you need jio fiber plan to login to hotstar VIP plan.
No no m.asking have u installed this hotstar app in your android box?if u have any other hotstar apps.u need to uninstall it first then i guess this hotstar app will work .jio stb hotstar app has live star channels inside hotstar app itself.

Upvote 0
Tested all these apps on my Chinese android box
Jio tv plus works flawlessly but have to login everytime I close the app works even with jio no that doesn't have jio fiber linked with it

Jio Saavn Sony LIV Voot all works perfect
Live tv jio store app just blanks out

Thanks @teejay1907
U used jio internet or other internet to check these apps??

Upvote 0
I don't think the app is different. It is because of the io network that
No no m.asking have u installed this Hotstar app in your android box?if u have any other hotstar apps.u need to uninstall it first then i guess this hotstar app will work .jio stb hotstar app has live star channels inside hotstar app itself.
I don't think the app is different. It is because of the Jio network that you are able to watch live star channels on hotstar.
You can watch the channels on mobile as well with a Jio sim card (without VIP subscription).

Upvote 0
Thats why i said i have got a basic version running. This particular app doesn't support more than 480p, the ones that do don't work currently.
so if i understand correctly. you extracted an apk from box which works in 480p or installed from any apk providers on the internet. also just to be sure did you check the resolution via "test patterns" right? sorry for my dumb question

Upvote 0
I don't think the app is different. It is because of the io network that

I don't think the app is different. It is because of the Jio network that you are able to watch live star channels on Hotstar.
You can watch the channels on mobile as well with a Jio sim card (without VIP subscription).
Star channels on hotstar now plays directly without any jio sim or jio net in mobile.

Upvote 0
Will installing APKs this way have any impact on receiving future OTT apps from Jio automatically ? In other words, when the STB was installed first, it downloaded all the apps automatically. So will installing APKs on our own break the ability to receive future OTT apps from jio automatically ?

Upvote 0
@Dhiraj i dont think there is any issue in installing apk. if at all new playstore or jio store brings apk then installation will be separate app to existing one or will be overwritten. more over my suspicion for locking the STB from playstore would mean only one thing. Jio is trying bring its own eco system just like Amazon. from the looks of it is sure... mark my words... they are bringing everything just like Amazon did... own device (STB/Router) online shopping/VR/AR/ OTT platform etc.

Upvote 0
so if i understand correctly. you extracted an apk from box which works in 480p or installed from any apk providers on the internet. also just to be sure did you check the resolution via "test patterns" right? sorry for my dumb question

It was downloaded from the net and the site mentioned that it would not support beyond 480p. The video quality is pretty basic and its visible to the naked eye, no testing is required.

Upvote 0

Back