How to Unlock JioFiber ONT & work directly with any ftth ISP without using another ONT or Use it as a WiFi Router by connect any FTTH ISP basic Modem?

SG_curiosity

I got banned!
ISP
Jio, BSNL
Is JioFiber ONT is locked for any other ftth service providers?
Any one had tried to hack/unlock the JioFiber ONT for other ftth service providers like bsnl ftth? Is there any way to use Jio ONT for bsnl ftth?

Jio has disappointed me and i don't want use it for few months till it comes with better plans and with 1:1 download/upload speed.

I am think to try bsnl FTTH because it is now available in my location but currently I don't want to buy or rent another ONT for it.

So, Anybody have any knowledge to unlock Jio ont or have anybody just tried to connect Jio ont with other fiber isp like bsnl ftth or local isp etc?
-----------
Or

If unlocking is not possible than atleast how can we use JioFiber ONT as a dual band WiFi router by connecting it with basic Modem of other ftth ISPs like bsnl FTTH (by using bridge mode or by any other techniques) ?

Last edited:
@C3PO Jio does not let you use their router in bridge mode.
Technically we are paying a deposit and renting the router for use and not the owner of the router, So once you disconnect we have to return.
So the point of having this discussion is quite rhetorical.

Upvote 0
@vignesh_venkatesan so tell me something new. All CPEs are the property of the ISP unless specified otherwise. You pay a deposit (or sometimes not) that will be returned at the time of surrender. And there's nothing "rhetorical" about using another CPE in lieu of the ISP provided device for additional features and/or better control.

Upvote 0
Jio's CPEs are the most locked-down routers at least in India.
It is pretty much a brick when connected to other networks and they have dozens of Hardware SKUs which make modding firmware a herculean task.
In order to even consider these possibilities, Jio fiber has to settle down to a point where everything is marked down to a process then we'll have a slight chance of someone making a custom firmware or manages to unlock these features.
For now, we don't even get the bridge mode option with Jio which alone is a deal-breaker for me personally.

Upvote 0
I was very happy when I first heard about jiofiber mainly because of their coverage plans in tier-3,4 cities and towns where there are no Pure-FTTH players.
But it started vanishing once I started hearing about the snooping, lockdowns, DPI, etc and to top it all off came these shit tariffs.
I'm seriously hoping that jio will get their act together and come up with better tariffs and billing systems.

Upvote 0
@C3PO can't we even use it as a WiFi Router
By connecting it with basic ONT Modem of other ftth ISPs like bsnl FTTH (by using bridge mode or by any other techniques)?

Even if you get a compatible ONT, most ISPs have their ONT serial numbers/MAC registered at the OLT, so it is not as straightforward as simply plugging in a new one. The new ONT has to be activated at the OLT or it won't work with the GPON LED flashing or turning red. And then there are different ONTs for GPON and EPON networks which are not compatible with each other.

Please consult with Jio support to check if and how you can change the ONT to bridge mode and then use a router of your own to perform authentication and Wi-Fi. I had to get my Tata Sky BB Nokia WiFi ONT changed to a dumb Nokia ONT (no WiFi) because the wireless model does not support bridge mode. This whole set up varies from ISP to ISP. Save your time and $$ and contact Jio for guidance. Otherwise you will be running around in circles.
I think, you didn't understand what i was trying to ask. Suppose if I temporary do not use my jioFiber service and get a new bsnl FTTH connection. In bsnl if i only use their cheap non-WiFi ont/modem then my internet connection will work but if i want strong dual band WiFi router then i have to purchase a separate new router from market.
So, I was asking that can I use my jioFiber modem only just as a separate wifi router by connecting it to bsnl's cheap non-WiFi FTTH ONT/modem?

There is no OLT or EPON/GPON compatibility question arises because all these compatibility related things would be handle by bsnl ont only. I am only taking about how to transfer bsnl non-WiFi ont/modem's internet to jioFiber router to create a WiFi network.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think, you didn't understand what i was trying to ask. Suppose if I temporary do not use my jioFiber service and get a new bsnl FTTH connection. In bsnl if i only use their cheap non-WiFi ont/modem then my internet connection will work but if i want strong dual band WiFi router then i have to purchase a separate new router from market. So, I was asking that can I use my jioFiber modem only just as a separate wifi router by connecting it to bsnl's cheap non-WiFi FTTH ONT/modem?

@SG_curiosity and you probably did not understand what I was trying to say either! So, let me put it as succinctly as possible. ISP CPEs are generally compatible with native networks only because they are locked down using custom firmware.

There is no OLT or EPON/GPON compatibility question arises because all these compatibility related things would be handle by bsnl ont only. I am only taking about how to transfer bsnl non-WiFi ont/modem's internet to jioFiber router to create a WiFi network.

I assume you're talking about a hypothetical case of using a BSNL connection? I also recommend you need to read up on what are GPON and EPON networks and their respective characteristics. CPEs are not compatible with each other and if I remember correctly BSNL is known to use both types. It varies from circle to circle and area to area.

And no these compatibility issues will NOT be handled by BSNL who in short will tell you to use only a BSNL provided ONT OR at best a recommended ONT from the market to use with their network. It varies from case to case so please check with Jio AND BSNL the following:

a) if CPEs are compatible
b) If CPEs can be reconfigured to work with another network
c) If a non-ISP provided ONT is used will the network engineers reconfigure their OLT to work with the new device.

Upvote 0

Back