I need your suggestions to buy a new Wifi Router

• Thread starter Thread starter mahindar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 94
  • Views Views 13,152
@rj27 if i buy a standalone router will i get those features (like usb 2.0,wireless transfers b/w laptop,PC,mobile). If yes, please suggest me any such model. Suppose if i take W8968 or 2750u can't i connect my Local ISP without firmware flashing .

one more thing why the price of TP-Link W8968 is less than D-Link 2750u.Does w8968 has any drawbacks compared to 2750u.
And D Link 2750u has some Dual band MI-MO(If I'm correct it means"It can send and receive files at the same time" ). Does TP-Link w8968 also has this feature.

Sorry for my noob questions.

Wireless transfers between clients is available on wireless routers, since it's more of a client OS feature to be able to lookup the other devices on the network. So don't worry about lan transfers as that you would be able to do even with an unknown 1000rs wifi router also.

Now coming to D-Link 2750u (2 hardware versions - C1 and U1 almost similar with UI differnce) , in the Indian firmware of this router there is no support for a RJ45 WAN port. Hence you are required to flash a different country firmware which has got the feature to make the 4th port act as a WAN port instead of Lan Port. Hence you should better avoid this router.

Also in the same budget, I am unable to locate any similar standalone router with USB support. There are routers with usb support but they have 3 dBi antenna while the TP-Link w8968 has got 5dBi antenna. So I think the W8968 would be the optimal choice here considering it has the WAN port feature in the official firmware. Here is an emulator for this router - TP-LINK W8968

MIMO is feature which allows the client and router to use the channel bonding to offer higher bandwidth. The wifi n-300 clients use 2 channels through channel bonding e.g. channel 1+5 (4 channel gap) to be able to use 40 Mhz of spectrum (20+20) on the 2.4 Ghz band. So it's not related to simultaneous download+upload as that is just a basic function which is there is every wifi device.

And yes we all were noobs at some point of time and have grown up reading through the forums itself :)

Seems to be working fine. Range is much better than my previous one (I ball Baton 150mbps). I even connected one of my external hard drive to it and I was able to access it from phone as well as PC. All in all a great value for money router for Rs.1,799.

hGZzCOE.jpg

Although they don't mention it nor do the customer care confirm it, they're shipping V3. I got the V3 when I got it a week back.

Back