• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 8,749

amish

Star gazer
I got banned!
ISP
MTNL Mumbai BB_600 @12mbps
I want to get Yahoo Go and GMail app on Nokia N70. But I dont see any method to installing them using Data cable.Yahoo Go is abt 600k and Gmail app is abt 200k. If I download them using GPRS it wud cost me 8 to 10 Rs first time and everytime they update the application. Whereas downloading on PC (JAR file) and then installing from data cable wud cost just 1Re.I tried to to install Yahoo Go using jar file but it didnt get installed, it said, invalid installation or installer something.For Gmail app, it got installed but when i run it, it throws java IllegalStateException.So anybody managed to install them using data cable?Or even better anybody managed to get internet on Nokia N70 using USB data cable? This option wud be best as then I can directly get it installed.(as if using GPRS)P.S. I want to get this done using Linux

Well there is a way to get net connection on phone via the PC using bluetooth or USB . Once set that up , just install whatever you want on the phone, no charges!!

FedoraForum.org - Sharing Internet with Symbian Smartphone over Bluetooth

I did this using my 6630 and linux PC as gateway over bluetooth
For people using windows, you can find instructions for windows too on various sites like http://www.xphilez.com

i tried that. it doesnt work using USB cable. i think may be it works only with bluetooth.OK now one more problem.I installed putty but its not able to SSH anywhere. so i guess vodafone just allows accessing WAP sites. Is there any trick to bypass this limitation? or SSH over WAP? or is getting vodafone mobile internet is only option?

i really dont understand why they do that when they are charging per kb. more i use wud be better for them.

@amish USB is reported to be unstable to use GNUBOX to share PC's net connection with the fone. I have used bluetooth for long periods of time and its perfectly stable and I get good net speeds on the fone. Well yes, I know vodafone restricts all that..my friend was not able to use IM+ messenger on his vodafone. I have used all sorts of apps on my MTNL Trump EDGE connection , works just fine. BTW if anyone read the HOW-TO I posted on fedora forum , comments are welcome, as its the first time I have written such a how-to and i would like to improve :)

ok can some1 suggest me good BUT CHEAP bluetooth dongle that works on USB v1 motherboards as well as on fedora core 6 linux?@aniketvbur post was well written

hey thnkx amish!You can get the chinese BT dongles available for about 200 bux at Lamington Rd in Mumbai... they work well, I use the same one , I got it for about 450 bux 4 years ago on ebay (baazee it was then) !!

ur OS field shows FC8, so are u sure it will work on FC6? does it work out of box or u need drivers?

Back