• Thread starter Thread starter manu1991
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 30
  • Views Views 26,498

manu1991

Ancient Philospher
ISP
Hyperoptic
My dad wants internet on his laptop through a USB modem or a data card , he was earlier using reliance but the speeds were pathetic (>>50 kbps most of the time) So which all other providers are there and what are the plans ?i checked tata's plug2surf but there isnt any unlimited plans and tata already has a very nice reputation :Pany suggestions ?

airtel is the third option. and it sucks too...wireless internet in india sucks even more than wired internet. i am moving to a laptop myself but i still have not decided if i want to buy one of these wireless cards.even sad is the thing that they provide PCMCIA cards while most new laptops are coming only with Express Cards.

Spend that money on a better phone that support 300 kbps on EDGE.....You will get better speed on GSM+EDGE then on Reliance ot TATA (they are on CDMA)

ok what mobile service provide decent speeds on Edge? :)i can swap my Motorola L7 for a new mobile phone to get decent wireless internet connectivity on my laptop... :|

airtel is the third option. and it sucks too...

wireless internet in india sucks even more than wired internet. i am moving to a laptop myself but i still have not decided if i want to buy one of these wireless cards.

even sad is the thing that they provide PCMCIA cards while most new laptops are coming only with Express Cards.
thats sad my Dell has an express slot only that leaves only the EDGE option but i didnt get gud speeds (just 40-50 kbps) on airtel EDGE on my moto rokr , i guess thats area dependant , airtel connectivity sucks near my house

there are converters available to connect pcmcia cards to express card slots. but the speeds would continue to remain a big problem.

I couldn't agree more. Wireless internet suck here.Trust me,only in a few circles EDGE does any good (There gprs works well anyway).Other circles,its more or less the same..

so if i get a gprs enabled mobile phone. what speeds am i expected to get in a decent coverage area?

Back