• Thread starter Thread starter rodeoz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 32
  • Views Views 4,066

rodeoz

Mirror Cracking Material
ISP
Airtel
HiI have a jailbroken iPhone 4 with Vodafone sim inserted in it. To get the APN settings I called up Vodafone but the CC guy told me that the regular GPRS plans don't work on the Iphone and that I would have to subscribe to the Iphone Service where they charge 10p/10kb. He also told me that Iphone does not require any APN settings!!I got the Iphone services activated but the internet won't work. So I got them deactivated, subscribed to the regular 2G plan and got the Settings through the Iphone configuration utility.Just wanted to know if the Iphone services are any faster in terms of speed. And does 3G work on Vodafone on an iPhone? Also, for some reason whenever I launch the 'App store' on my device I get an error - "This app is not available in the Indian Market" and then the app closes down. Any idea why this could be happening?Many thanks!

Which city? What 2G data plan did you opt for? What Was the APN that you setup?You can use any of the regular or iPhone plans for data. There is no difference in either quality of service or speed between the two. The only difference was price. Yes, the same applies to 3G services also. The CC guy told you that you don't need to setup APN because the APN for their iPhone plans is coded into the iOS. So if you have an iPhone plan activated it will work without changing any settings. There is a tweak on Cydia called "TetherMe APN Editing". I would recommend you get it. It eliminates the need to use any utility to setup APNs. It unlocks the "Cellular Data Network" option under Settings and you can then manually set your APN to whatever you want directly on your device. I'm not sure why you are getting that error with your AppStore app. iTunes has an india specific AppStore. I have never faced/seen that issue before. Do you have an iTunes account? Have you set it up on you iPhone? If not, set it up by going to Settings>Store and logging into your account from there. If you don't have an iTunes account first. I hope I've been able to help. Let me know if you need help with anything else.

Thanks GarfieldDC.My phone is a jailbroken edition from the UK. I have an itunes account and have been downloading apps on the itunes and syncing with the phone. For weird reason the app store does not open on the phone and I get the error I mentioned. I have logged into my itunes account as well as chosen the country as 'India'. It doesn't pose much of a problem except when I want to visit the ibook store.Regarding the iPhone services plan from Vodafone, I couldn't access the internet till I applied APN settings through the iphone configuration wizard. I can access the internet now.

When you say your iPhone is jailbroken from the UK does it mean jailbroken & unlocked (because it was locked to a UK carrier) or it is an officially unlocked phone that you have jailbroken?

This is because you have registered your account with UK as the country, The app store is specific to the country.Make an Indian app store account and it will work.

The phone was unlocked and jailbroken in UK itself before it was shipped to India. I don't even have apps like Cydia installed. So I wonder why it was jailbroken in the first place!!I have an account with India as my country. When I open the App store on the phone, I get the error message. Could be because I am trying to access it on an ultra-slow Vodafone Edge. Will try on a 3G or wifi connection.One question - In my app store on itunes, the prices of apps are given in USD. But I had selected India as a region while registering. Is that all right? Or should the prices have been in INR?

Maybe my question was not clear.. I wanted to know if you have an unlocked phone from Apple or is it a phone that was originally locked to a UK carrier then unlocked later via jailbreak? What is the firmware & baseband on your phone?If your phone is jailbroken then it has to have Cydia installed. Maybe it is hidden. Go to Spotlight and typing "Cydia" there and see if it shows up. The App Store does not have any prices in INR, they show in USD even on the India store.

I bought the phone from a shop in Delhi and have no idea to what carrier it was locked to in the UK. I bought the phone as it is - jailbroken and not locked to any network. No other idea about the phone's history. I have searched for Cydia using spotlight but can not locate it. Perhaps it was deleted by the person who did the jailbreak?I know it is jailbroken because I use the emergency dial method to activate the sim.The firmware is 4.3 and I don't know what baseband is :-|

I bought the phone from a shop in Delhi and have no idea to what carrier it was locked to in the UK. I bought the phone as it is - jailbroken and not locked to any network. No other idea about the phone's history. I have searched for Cydia using spotlight but can not locate it. Perhaps it was deleted by the person who did the jailbreak?
I know it is jailbroken because I use the emergency dial method to activate the sim.

The firmware is 4.3 and I don't know what baseband is :-|

Aah.. Now that makes more sense. If you dial an emergency number to activate your unlock then it means you are using a Gevey Turbo SIM for the unlock. In that case, an keeping in mid that you do not have Cydia on your iPhone, I don't think your phone is jailbroken. It's just unlocked using the Gevey SIM. You don't need to jailbreak to use the Gevey SIM. The jailbreak process installs Cydia by default and it is not an app that you can delete (like the stock apps on the iPhone).

Baseband is nothing but the Modem Firmware version of your device. To check this, go to Settings>General>About and scroll down until you see Modem Firmware.

I am such a noob! The shopkeeper told me its jailbroken and I believed :-DThe Modem Firmware is 04.10.01Everything is working fine on my phone (including 3G) except for the App Store (which I can otherwise access through iTunes, WhatsApp and Gmail). I have tried all possible tricks including enabling IMAP, Captcha and manual settings but gmail won't work!! As for WhatsApp, its stuck on 'Connecting' forever!Thanks for your help mate. If you don't mind I have another question.Since my phone isn't jailbroken, can I update the firmware (iTunes tells me to) without risking anything? And do you think it is worthwhile for me to jailbreak my phone?

Back