• Thread starter Thread starter dpn020xy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 7,218
ISP
BSNL FTTH
Xstream Fiber
Hey guys,
I am facing an ipv6 disconnection with my AX20 bridged router. 3 days ago one morning, the internet had suddenly stopped. I disabled the ipv6 on TP-Link and the internet was working fine on ipv4. Then went onto my ZTE ONT status page and found that the ipv6 was disconnected there as well. Is it the case that Airtel had disabled ipv6 recently? Are any of you guys facing the same? Also, can this issue be region-specific?

Recent IPV6 Status Image

Older IPV6 Status Image

P.s: There was no change in settings that I did, I remained the same. Also, I tested IPV6 with my Airtel mobile data, in that case, the ipv6 connection is present.

Last edited:
@dpn020xy does it really make a difference whether you have v6 or v4? With Airtel you most likely get a public v4 address which makes a v6 a moot point at this time. That said, these guys are still experimenting and rolling out v6 on broadband lines. So it may come back in a while. Don't hold your breath though. Airtel is pretty iffy with its v6 roll out. For e.g. there are areas that have v6 and some that don't even within the same city. I do not get a v6 address only a v4 public address (some get CGNAT). Later I opted for a static IP on Airtel (public) and a static v6 (with the default CGNAT v4) on Tata Play. Trust me, it doesn't make any difference to my internet experience,.

Hi @Chip, I didn't know that Airtel is still experimenting with the roll-out, thanks for confirming that. Yes, it is obvious that IPV6 doesn't make any noticeable difference in bandwidth. Did static IP help make any difference in your case? If so, can you please let me know what is the process/charge involved in this?

@dpn020xy your v6 address may actually cause you more problems if:
a) A remote site does not have a v6 address and only v4. Hence all ISPs are on dual stack i.e. v4 and v6 for now
b) You're configuring your own router. The normal home wifi router would work with a few tweaks to the v6 settings in the WAN connection. But trust me, v6 is more difficult if you are working with more advanced router/firewall software like pfSense OPNSense etc. Each ISPs settings are different so it's mostly trial and error that gets you going assuming of course your networking basics, i.e. fundas in desi lingo, are clear.'

While I understand the enthusiasm in all of us (I am an experienced techie too) for the latest and greatest technology i.e. v6, sometimes I feel it's best to wait. :)

Anyway, If you want a static IP just call 121 and raise a request. An engineer will come over and configure your Airtel router ONT. In case you use your own router for authentication (Airtel ONT in bridge mode) then you can take the details from him and input them into your device. It costs 199/month for some subscribers while some Airtel customers got one for Rs 99 + GST per month including yours truly. Please get the exact pricing from Airtel.

I am on Airtel fiber and till date I have never received IPv6. My IPv6 status just keeps on showing connecting forever in zte670. Everything is set to Auto mode in WAN connection for IPv6.
Whatismyip website only shows IPv4 and no IPv6 ever for me as long as I am on Airtel fiber. However when I am on Airtel postpaid mobile data internet, I get IPv6 as well.

IPV6 although has large adoption rate in India but none of ISPs are working on this technology just as govt mandate every isp is enabling it hence everything is hit and trail at least till 2025 or till the time there is dedicated server for IPV6

You also get more peers on some torrents when you have dual stack.
Unable to verify this as Airtel still doesn't issue a v6 address in my area of the city. But then I am on VPN most of the time which disables v6 anyways.

Facing same issue with Archer A6, configured in bridged mode, and the clients connected also get a public IPV6 address but, for some reason the ipv6 test sites say not supportred. Very weird issue, experimented with some setitngs but no use. Have left it for now.

IPv6 is working absolutely fine with airtel's router (zte).

and yes @demifiend9 is correct, on IPv6 you can host anything publicly, i.e. all 65000 ports can be exposed (but you have to disable the router firewall of course, which is NOT RECOMMENDED), I tried by exposing nginx RDP.

For torrents can't say for sure, haven't tried with IPV4 only, but yes, as soon as I disable the firewall, I see consistent 5-6 Mbps speed on some linux torrents that I seed, which otherwise (with firewall) is achieved sometimes only.

A couple of things I've noticed using the ZTE router:

1) When I restart the router, sometimes I get IPv6 and sometimes I don't (I usually get it 7 times out of 10). Once I do get IPv6, it stays available as long as I restart the router.

2) When I download using torrent, I get double the speed if IPv6 is available. However, double speed is unavailable for any other kind of download - website/Steam/etc.

Back