Is something wrong globally? (Cogent-TATA Peering Mess)

ISP
AS17665, Jio5G
Since last 1hr i'm encountering error 502 on google services, i thought it has something to do with my VPN server. Even without VPN same error on all devices : laptop and mobile. Restarted router and devices

Now i was trying to switch servers on proton vpn and suddenly all of their servers : Albania, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, Hongkong, India, indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore , Sri lanka, Vietnam all are under maintenance at once which is rare

Are you guys facing some connectivity issues too?

image-2024-05-31-201725164.png

Majority of outage seems in this region

Following was posted on the INNOG mailing list, not sure if related...

Hey folks,

Just following up on the Cogent-TATA peering drama. Looks like things are still going south.

A customer using TATA (AS6453) got this email: sounds like their peering team is scrambling, but no fix yet (no ETA = no idea when it'll be resolved).

<quote> Product and Peering teams are checking with Cogent management, continue efforts are in progress to resolve this issue, No ETR as of now.
Next update will be shared once we have update from peering team. </quote>

This whole situation is bizarre. Neither TATA nor Cogent are saying a peep publicly, which makes it look like they're totally deadlocked. Unlike the Cogent-NTT thing back in February, where NTT at least tried rerouting traffic (even though this resulted in higher latencies for their single-homed European customers due to the traffic being exchanged in the USA instead of Europe).

Here's the real kicker: if TATA can't get this peering thing sorted, they risk losing their Tier 1 status. Without peering with Cogent, they basically can't reach especially single-homed customers behind AS174 (Cogent's network). Some folks are even whispering that Cogent wants a piece of the APAC market, and TATA's trying to block them – which wouldn't be surprising considering Cogent's crazy low prices compared to TATA.

Whatever the reason, this whole thing is shrouded in secrecy. Anyone have any inside info? Let us know in the replies!

Cheers,
Tyurgen Kuznetsov

I guess this is it, since in reddit comment section somebody mentioned google services too which were acting up for me yesterday.

Just replace all Google services with a big page that's says the following: "Due to Cogent not peering with us, or Hurricane Electric, we are unable to support the bandwidth to your network to support the service your attempting to reach. To complain, you can reach Cognet at <Cognet NOC number here>. We're sorry for the inconvenience."

S**t will get fixed real f***in quick.

Is tata really that bad ? whole comment section is on cogent's side. I'm very new to such high level enterprise info.

whole drama source : Reddit - Dive into anything

Cogent is the bigger bad guy, it also has the history of being bad for a very long time.

Tier 1 peering is always supposed to be free. Cogent does not share the same idea.

Back