Jelly Bean Update for Samsung Galaxy Nexus

• Thread starter Thread starter uumeshh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 57
  • Views Views 7,068
not an issue. and of course, if you want to check out the device in person, you know who to ping :)

i have not noticed much of a difference. animations are better and smoother. the ui feels more refined. sadly, google seems to be deviating from the black background left-right swiping user interfaces. the new mantra seems to be cards. google plus mobile app is all about cards. google now is all about cards. and both are predominantly white in color. i wish they had resumed the black background for their primary apps. :| at least as an option. but then i guess reading on white background is easier on the eye.

Oh alright. Thanks. BTW there are lot of under the hood features in this jelly. For people like me, USB audio (for external sound DACs) is really the best way to get bit by bit digital sound to my dedicated DAC which will convert the data at the optimum analog clarity. Not saying that internal DAC is insufficient but for audiophile experience one must listen to music via dedicated DAC. With JB Android finally have the gapless playback functionality. It was much needed feature as many of my android friends were crying out for that feature. There's also a multichannel audio in JB which is a welcome addition.

How is the feel & ease of use of expandable notifications? Are they hugely helpful? I see them doing good to 4 inch & later devices. For smaller screen (3.5-3.7) devices, it can be a pain to read from the notifications. I am not really sure. And tell us about offline voice dictation. With proper Indian english accent how accurate it is?

Edit: http://developer.android.com/about/versions/jelly-bean.html#media

How is the feel & ease of use of expandable notifications? Are they hugely helpful? I see them doing good to 4 inch & later devices. For smaller screen (3.5-3.7) devices, it can be a pain to read from the notifications. I am not really sure. And tell us about offline voice dictation. With proper Indian english accent how accurate it is?

Expandable Notifications are pretty Slick. A Missed call appears with the person's contact pic and the options to call back or send an Sms. That's a first in any Mobile OS so far.

The whole process of Calling a person from the call list and ending a call has been made tremendously fast in JB.

Small Nifty Features like the Option to Hide the keyboard in a Message or while Typing in certain Apps is very Handfull.

right. the virtual bar at the bottom changes the first icon to hide the keyboard. i mean you already hide the keyboard by pressing the back button. google is now making it apparent by using the software keys. this is something hardware keys cannot do. more reasons to ditch them.

Expandable Notifications are pretty Slick. A Missed call appears with the person's contact pic and the options to call back or send an Sms. That's a first in any Mobile OS so far.

The whole process of Calling a person from the call list and ending a call has been made tremendously fast in JB.

Small Nifty Features like the Option to Hide the keyboard in a Message or while Typing in certain Apps is very Handfull.

It's good to know about these features. :)

google is now making it apparent by using the software keys. this is something hardware keys cannot do. more reasons to ditch them.

I don't understand the concept of not having any hardware key on the screen. Yes, that arrangement could have it's own benefits like increasing the screen size even further whilst you can also decrease the size of bezel. But this kind of arrangement should be only devised if we are living in the crash free era. Unfortunately we are not. Especially in Android, even if you are using the relatively new ICS, sometimes I have seen the phones freeze & crash.

So I think it's very important to have the actual hardware out key on the front. If it's a s/w based then in such scenario there won't be a available response from s/w based keys whilst sometimes hardware key can still provide us the 'out' from the freeze.

BTW I came across this nice jelly bean review/walk-through video from my subscriptions.

Google Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean): Walkthrough - YouTube

Physical on/off key is not a 'hardware out'. It basically puts a phone to sleep or switch off. And sometimes at the time of crash, the sleep/wake key also becomes non functional momentarily.

Back