List of Channels with 16:9 aspect ratio signal

• Thread starter Thread starter snehalp
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 11,082

snehalp

ISP
BSNL
Hi fellow members, i plan to buy a 32 inch LCD tv in the near future but i am concerned about the picture being stretched for signals which are in the 4:3 aspect ratio (which is most of the channels i guess), if we can build a list of channels which are beamed in 16:9 would help me and others over here to get a better idea as to whether to make the switcher over of wait for a while.Appreciate the help.ThanksRegdsSnehal

there are no perfect list of the channels available which are in wide screen but there are some channels like AxN, Star World, Discovery and other channels which relays the some of the serials in wide screen and other full screen

i use a 32 inch lcd and the quality on everything is pretty good. I wouldn't be worried about the aspect ratios, if i were you. cheers.

I would suggest moving over to a wide screen LCD only if you are:a) Going for High Definition (HD). In India currently HD content is only available in video game consoles, namely the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. Besides that the only other HD content would be if you plan on importing a HD-DVD / Blu-Ray player (very expensive) from abroad. There is no TV content in HD here yet, and probably not for a few years to come.b) You watch a lot of movies on DVD. (VCD quality very poor so you wouldn't enjoy it on such a TV).

I suggest you go in for a LCD which has a low response time, something like 6.8 ms or something. I have a Samsung 26' LCD which claims to have a 8 ms response time. Although the clarity is brillant, I do at times see a slight blur. Its very faint and I guess its just that I am conscious about it perhaps. When you have a LCD, going for digital input feeds such as Tata Sky is a must. I tried my cabblewallahs input to my LCD and I eyes pained. Its cause LCD's just blow up good as well as bad signal input.

For a multiplicity of reasons, I would say that even if you do end up buying a LCD mainly to watch TV, then you should opt for Hathway at this point and not get tied in with Tata Sky.

None of Indian channel are in 16:9, and so far on Tata Sky, only BBC channels are completely 16:9, not sure about channels like HBO, Discovery, NGC

I'd recommend you buy Samsung or Panasonic. LG/Hitachi/Videocon/Philips/Sharp/TCL or any other brand for that is incomparable to the clarity and picture quality that you get with Samsung! When I saw the HD Video Demo in the showroom I was just awestruck!!! :O

Back