MeeGo Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 32
  • Views Views 7,912
MeeGo?

it would be sad if it is released only for developers!

----------

i might be wrong but n900 was also supposed to be a developer's phone right?

Had an N900 myself. It was a geeky phone that gave you a lot of liberty to play around with it. Most people who bought it were geeks. But it was not a developer phone or one aimed at developers only.

But it was used by developers to test and run Meego during Meego's development.

Nokia, more so Elop, would be surprised at the positive feedback they have been getting with this phone. If all this positivity turns into reasonable sales for the phone, they would definitely think of bringing on more models. Currently as it stands, India, US and UK would not be getting the N9

N900 also had great positive feedback. Almost all review websites gave it a big thumbs up. But then a good phone need not convert into good sales. Most people did not want to own an OS that was new and a long way behind iOS and Android in terms of apps etc.

Also, after Nokia killed Maemo immediately after N900's launch, most current users decided to ditch Nokia. Nokia then made a statement that N900 will not get a Meego update (though it was the very handset that was used for Meego's development and capable of running the OS) and later backtracked with a "maybe". Maemo users got apps mainly built by freelance developers and as such the apps were hardly a match to their counterparts on iOS and Android.

Apps are important. And thus Maemo community's main point of discussion shifted to Nitdroid - porting Android to the N900. I believe except the call functionality the rest of the porting is done now. The developer e-yes would have sped up the porting process but he realised he was wasting his time on an OS that was dead. Then Nokia announced its partnership with MS and a lot of guys from the Meego development portal left the scene.

I had heard Nokia realised that Maemo/Meego was way behind other competitor OS and a partnership with MS was the only way forward for it - as they would get a ready OS for their devices.

For the same reason I believe good reviews of a Meego phone will not convert into good sales.

Back