Mesh Router or Repeater?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sachin23
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 89
  • Views Views 23,619
ISP
Airtel, Jio
(Have used BSNL, GTPL, Tikona, Spectra too)
Hi guys,

I do not get wifi signals in one of my rooms at the far end with the default router (BDT-121 Dual band 11AC GPON Router) that came with Airtel. I have an additional D-Link Router with me which I started using in AP mode to extend the range and it works fine.

The problem is that I now have two SSIDs and have to manually change them while moving in the house everytime - which is very inconvenient.

Did some research on the internet and I understand that using a MESH Router will solve my problem. However, since I am a novice, I would like to understand from you:

* If it is possible to solve my problem with the existing hardware that I have. It is D-Link 825ac. I also have an additional TP-Link TL-WR841N

* If not, there are a lot of mesh routers available on Amazon. Which one would you suggest - reasonably priced and good performance.

* Alternatively is there any other Router which I can purchase having good range to cover the entire house (1700 sqft) ?

Thank you in advance for the help.

P. S. - I did not find any existing thread on this topic so created a new one. In case there is one, you may link it down here please.

some phones have an option called automatically select best wifi i used this feature 2-3 months back it works perfect for me it basically connects to your repeater if it have best signal than your default router .. if it doesnt work go for a mesh router someone will suggest best router i dont know whats the best router out there with reasonable price and good performance..

Upvote 0
I have tried this automatic switching.. However the network goes off for a brief moment while it switches. With work from home these days, the office calls disconnect which again is not a good experience. Am looking for a solution that allows me to seamlessly roam in the house.

Upvote 0
Depends on a lot of things like thickness of your walls (old houses have thick brick ones) to how strong (and what band) of wifi you require at the blindspot.

Yes mesh will solve.

TP-Link Deco M4 seems decent as per reviews. 9k for 2 units.

Repeater has some disadvantages and should be a last resort.

Upvote 0
Just name both of the 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz bands the same. Solved the issue for me and devices seamlessly transition from one to another.

Upvote 0
Mesh is the best option. But no matter which mesh network you choose, for Indian houses you’ll need a node per room if you want high speeds.

The best is Orbi. But that would be 30-50k for a house of your size.

TP-Link is a much cheaper option but might do if you’re looking for speeds in the 50-200 Mbps range.

Upvote 0
Orbi Rbk13 in 15k is also a decent mesh. Though you won't get ethernet port in satellite plus few fancy functions.

Also orbi series work in hub spoke topology only. TP-Link option given above is also not bad.

Upvote 0
@igloo

1. Orbi makes the most sense if you go with Orbi RBK50.

2. Regardless of the model, you need a node in each room. Including a separate one in your drawing room and/or living room based on the specifics of your house.

So for a 3BHK you’ll probably need a total of 3-6 nodes.

3. Orbi works in hub spoke as well as star with recent updates. It works like a true mesh too if that’s what you mean. It also has Ethernet backhaul.

4. There is no upper limit to nodes as long as you don’t go too crazy. People have tested up to 10 working nodes in one network. That’s 9 satellites with a router. I personally use 4 satellites plus a router. So 5 nodes.

With Orbi be prepared to spend in the 50k plus range for a house of that size.

Or get Netgear R7800S, two of them, and hardwire them. One can be in AP mode.

Upvote 0
What's your plan and speed? If it's less than 100Mbps, I would suggest Deco E4, but if you get more than 100Mbps, buy the M4 as E4 only has 100Mbit Ethernet ports(M4 has gigabit ports).

The other consideration is you have to connect the two decos with a Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable. If you connect them using Wireless, your speed will be splotchy and fluctuating.

I used the E4 for a few days, it worked perfectly fine except that it won't go over 100Mbps so I returned it and bought the M4. I have zero complaints so far. One is upstairs, one is downstairs, and I get full 200Mbps no matter where I'm at in the house.

PS- When you do buy the mesh router, make sure you turn off the wireless signals of your default modem/router, otherwise you might face some signal interference.

Upvote 0

Back