Mesh Router or Repeater?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sachin23
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 89
  • Views Views 23,619
ISP
Airtel, Jio
(Have used BSNL, GTPL, Tikona, Spectra too)
Hi guys,

I do not get wifi signals in one of my rooms at the far end with the default router (BDT-121 Dual band 11AC GPON Router) that came with Airtel. I have an additional D-Link Router with me which I started using in AP mode to extend the range and it works fine.

The problem is that I now have two SSIDs and have to manually change them while moving in the house everytime - which is very inconvenient.

Did some research on the internet and I understand that using a MESH Router will solve my problem. However, since I am a novice, I would like to understand from you:

* If it is possible to solve my problem with the existing hardware that I have. It is D-Link 825ac. I also have an additional TP-Link TL-WR841N

* If not, there are a lot of mesh routers available on Amazon. Which one would you suggest - reasonably priced and good performance.

* Alternatively is there any other Router which I can purchase having good range to cover the entire house (1700 sqft) ?

Thank you in advance for the help.

P. S. - I did not find any existing thread on this topic so created a new one. In case there is one, you may link it down here please.

@karanjain06 No. Didn't notice any spike. Am getting consistent ping between 3 to 7ms on airtel.

Upvote 0
@sghulyani How is your GPON setup. Pl bear with some of my questions.

Is it in bridge mode or in router mode.
If in router mode, can you give details of how it's setup. Is it just access point
Can you show screenshot of your Deco settings advanced-IPV4. You may mask the last two sets of nos.

Reason I'm asking is mine is bridge mode with deco 9 which I've to give back to my cousin shortly. Before that I made a plan change and it could not happen automatically. I had to set it in router mode for the plan change to happen. Hence seeing options to avoid plan change issues in bridge mode.. Hope you got it. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
@sghulyani Just check what is the internet connection type under IPV4 in advanced settings. Also did you enter any username and password or not. Just do this favor. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-08-22-22-44-05-831_com.tplink.tpm5.webp
    Screenshot_2020-08-22-22-44-05-831_com.tplink.tpm5.webp
    17.2 KB · Views: 233
Upvote 0
With Orbi, assuming Ethernet backhaul:

Over lan I get full gig.

Over WiFi I get up to 500-600+ Mbps if in the same room.

Assuming wireless backhaul:

Over WiFi I get up to about 400-500ish if in the same room as the node.

I have one router and 5 satellites, so 6 nodes. RBK50.
Could you please comment on the range of the main Orbi router? If you were to use only the base station and no satellite, would you say it has better range than normal wifi 5 routers? What speeds do you get when you are about 30 feet away and in another room using only the one base Orbi? Finally, what is the max speed you get using wireless backhaul on the sattelite Orbi? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Friends,

I took the plunge to buy Deco M5 mesh Wifi after reading this thread and realising that few of you have tried other routers already. The range of the stock router from Airtel is really horrible !

Any suggestions about how to configure the Airtel router to just work as modem (incl phone), will be really useful. Planning to use Deco M5 in router mode.

Thank you
Could you please comment on the range of Deco M5 if you are using only one base unit? Would you say the range is better than a normal wifi 5 router? Thanks.

Upvote 0

Back