Mesh Router or Repeater?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sachin23
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 89
  • Views Views 23,619
ISP
Airtel, Jio
(Have used BSNL, GTPL, Tikona, Spectra too)
Hi guys,

I do not get wifi signals in one of my rooms at the far end with the default router (BDT-121 Dual band 11AC GPON Router) that came with Airtel. I have an additional D-Link Router with me which I started using in AP mode to extend the range and it works fine.

The problem is that I now have two SSIDs and have to manually change them while moving in the house everytime - which is very inconvenient.

Did some research on the internet and I understand that using a MESH Router will solve my problem. However, since I am a novice, I would like to understand from you:

* If it is possible to solve my problem with the existing hardware that I have. It is D-Link 825ac. I also have an additional TP-Link TL-WR841N

* If not, there are a lot of mesh routers available on Amazon. Which one would you suggest - reasonably priced and good performance.

* Alternatively is there any other Router which I can purchase having good range to cover the entire house (1700 sqft) ?

Thank you in advance for the help.

P. S. - I did not find any existing thread on this topic so created a new one. In case there is one, you may link it down here please.

How to disable the old profile and enable the new profile. Thanks.

Upvote 0
@Venkata Ramesh Chandra V Selecting the lan port does not matter much. You can give 1 or all to the profile.

My setup is as follows: Huawei modem (bridged) >pfSense router>switch>access points.

The access points dont do any routing, they are dumb devices. What you pay for Ubiquiti is the highly reliable wifi and ease of use with their software controller. The routing is done via the pfSense router. This series is a good watch if you are interested in pfSense.

Should i follow the same procedure as mentioned below with TP-Link Deco M9 which I followed with Asus.

1) Setup Huawei in bridge mode.
2) Configure PPPoE on Deco M9 with dhcp and WiFi.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Should i follow the same procedure as mentioned below with TP-Link Deco M9 which I followed with Asus.

1) Setup Huawei in bridge mode.
2) Configure PPPoE on Deco M9 with dhcp and WiFi.

Thanks.

A quick update.

I got my cousin's M9 yesterday night and then I set it up. I did the bridge mode setting on Huawei before setting up M9. Tested for an hour yesterday with no issues and again working since today morning. As of now, there are no disconnections till now. Working fine. So the issue of frequent disconnections was in Asus router and that could be due to the recent firmware update that I performed on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A quick update.

I got my cousin's M9 yesterday night and then I set it up. I did the bridge mode setting on Huawei before setting up M9. Tested for an hour yesterday with no issues and again working since today morning. As of now, there are no disconnections till now. Working fine. So the issue of frequent disconnections was in Asus router and that could be due to the recent firmware update that I performed on it.

Status report after few days of usage.

No connection issues so far and working great in bridge mode. Thanks everyone who has contributed.

Now since my Asus is non functional, I either have an option to retain TP-Link Deco M9 plus (WiFi 5 Tri band AC2200 : One 2.4ghz band upto 400 Mbps, Two 5ghz bands of each 866 Mbps out of which 1 is wireless backhaul.) and pay back my cousin as its a month old only.

Another option is to get a new one among these Netgear Orbi RBK40 or RBK20 (WiFi 5 Tri band AC2200 and similar specs as Deco M9 with wireless backhaul) or the new Netgear Nighthawk MK62 (WiFi 6 / AX1800 Dual band with One 2.4ghz band upto 600Mbps and One 5ghz band upto 1200 Mbps., no dedicated wireless backhaul here).

TP link deco M9 and Netgear orbi RBK40 support AC while Netgear MK62 support AX.

Shortlising mesh type only as the built up area of my house is around 1500 sqft out of Total 3600sq ft compound. Need coverage through out. We currently use 3 devices that support WiFi 6 (2 mobiles and 1 laptop) out of Total 10 devices that will be connected. Current Internet plan is 200Mbps and may go upto 300 Mbps.

Need inputs quickly to finalise. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Guys,

Continuation of my previous post. Need suggestions to finalise this quickly. In short,

1) Keep the existing Deco M9+ and pay my cousin.
2) Get Netgear Orbi RBK40 /RBK20.
Both 1 and 2 have similar specs.
3) Get Netgear Nighthawk MK62.

Whether I retain 1 or get either of 2 or 3, I need to pay. Its my choice either to retain 1 or get any of 2 or 3. So, need inputs in this regard.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Back