Microsoft Cortana

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 42
  • Views Views 9,966
I am wondering why MS is generous towards other platforms by providing some good features to iOS/Android. Then what USP remains for Windows Mobile? Google (or Apple) has never provided any app for Windows Mobile yet. Google's Youtube, Hangouts, Maps or Apple's Facetime, Music are good apps which can be made "officially" available on other platforms.

Microsoft is in a pretty bad position. If their apps are not available on Android and iOS, people would switch to competing services and realize that they really do not have any needs for Microsoft's proprietary solutions (Microsoft Office particularly) even on desktop. Today's generation is growing up on mobile first so we might finally see in 5-10 years when people would no longer see Windows and Office as a necessity on any platform that they are using. And this is a scary thought for a company so much dependent upon these two products. Google and Apple do not have this problem.

Google of course continue to make most of their money through ads. Now even Apple support ad blocking but the business model is still relevant so it does not matter to them if the user is on iOS or Android as long as they are using their products giving them access to personal data that is used to further personalize ads.

Apple of course has avoided releasing apps for Android for a while. We now have two apps IIRC on Android. First is to make the switch to iOS easy (I have used it and it works well). The other is for Apple Music app which is also sensible considering the competition from Spotify etc. Also of course, Apple does not really have killer apps (except for I guess their audio and video editing apps) that would interest users not on their platform.

hehe. the biggest problem for microsoft i believe is that their business customers are not going to shift to windows phone platform just because they are on microsoft's ecosystem. they tried hard portraying the superiority of the windows platform by advertising support for the 'real office' for a long time before giving up. now at least they continue to make money on office 365 even if their clients (or customers) are on Apple ios or google android ecosystems. microsoft is basically turning into a services company from a software company because that's where the future lies. thin clients like chromebooks are becoming increasingly popular because they are easier to maintain and costs less so it's better to offer services over the web than basic software. services make money through subscription which is a longer term revenue source. companies also prefer that route instead of paying a premium in one go. even consumer segment is getting interested in this business model at least for entertainment services right now (subscribing to music streaming services rather than buying music. not in india though).

I hope after few years Windows Mobile users count does not equals to Ham Radio users :D

Cortana at your fingertips, now on Android lock screen - Windows Experience Blog

Today, you can now interact with Cortana above the lock. Quickly get answers to your questions, set a reminder and more without having to unlock your device.

Reminders that Travel with You: Cortana has your back, seamlessly keeping track of the things you need to remember across all the platforms you use her. Set a reminder on your PC and get it on your mobile phone.
Never Miss a Phone Call: In a meeting and can’t answer your phone? With the Cortana app, get a missed call alert on your Windows 10 PC and let Cortana send a text back letting them know you’ll call them later – all without leaving your PC.
Optimized for Mobile: Designed specifically for your mobile life with quick action buttons and voice to get what you need quickly, a streamlined design and widgets for Android and iOS.

OwfrKNN.png
vZqBDnr.png
XCVCiko.png

Back