MTNL Broadband: how can i download more ?!!

झुंजार

Shorei-ryu, Shugen-do...
ISP
MTNL
hi guys...i am posting my query wrt the recent (n indeed, joyful) lolly given to dsl 849 nu users by mtnl, incr in dl hours.......i read some ppl claiming that they can now dl over 9gb of data in a single nite:ishock: n dat they used to dl about 6-7gb previously...though i dont refute their claims, but i think it wud be very helpful if they cud kindly share some tips about how can this be done, coz even aft doin all reqd settings n tweaks in utorrent, i manage to dl only about 3-4gb in a single nite @ a dl speed of about 215 kB/s on public/pvt torrents...wud b highly appreciated if they cud share their knowledge...thx in adv...

If you are getting a constant speed of 215kBps throughout the night then you should be able to download more than 7GB in 10 hours.

Which torrent client are you using?

as i mentioned, am using utorrent, though the speed doesnt remain constant @ 215kB/s the whole nite, n fluctuates the most between 2200-0000 hrs n 0100-0300 hrs...

By how much does your download speed fluctuates?

If its not by very large amount then uTorrent is reporting false download speed.

Do a speedtest at Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and post the result here.

Its a silly thing to ask but what does your MTNL account usage shows? Does it also show ~4GB download per night? (Just to cross-check uTorrent's statistics)

it fluctuates from a min of 170 to 215 kB/s...but mostly from 190-215 kB/s...should i keep changing my open ports (connection's on pppoe mode) ?

incidentally, somedays back, i was getting a bandwidth of around 2.12mbps frm mtnl :P but then now aft 20-25 days its back to normal...

i download a variety of torrents from a variety of sites, so most of them are public ones...the account shows about 3gigs of dl for most of the nites, n rarely, if i remember correctly, has it crossed a 4 or 5 mark :(

on a side note, i also want to ask, that, is the usage account management is done manually by mtnl guys? coz last nite (saturday's) 2200-0000 hrs download data has been mistakenly added to my accounted vol, n hasnt been corrected yet...am thinking may b coz its a sunday dats y it hasnt been rectified, as its done on normal working days...

have any clue ?

Even if you get the lowest speed at 170kBps throughout the night you should be able to download a minimum of 5.8GB.

Come on this is purely mathematics and nobody can deny it :notallowed:!

Do you limit your upload speed while downloading?

Also have you checked whether the downloads still continue after 6 hours from the start of your night session?

----------

The account usage resetting after 10PM is still done manually by MTNL. So your stats for Saturday & Sunday will get updated on Monday.

yeah but the maths here is getting all twisted up for me unfortunately:confused:the max Unlimited rate i have set is on 65 kB/s; i limit the Unlimited speed of torrents being downloaded @ 10kB/s (public), n while downloading, i pause the UL of torrents which have been already downloaded...moreover, i have tweaked some basic n advanced settings in the client according to a popular vid on youtube.....it would be helpful if u could tell me what settings u've in ur utorrent... n yes, some torrents get downloaded in those 6 hrs itself, while the bigger ones continue on...may be if i purely download pvt torrents can i see a good rise in those GB chunks....

Man I can't figure out your problem. You seem to defy the math of bits-and-bytes :confused:.Stay awake for a whole night and see where lies the real problem :grin:.

yeah, incidentally i got some work to do today, so am gonna be spending most of the nite on it, while i've some 9 torrents lined up for download, having a total size of somewhere around 5-6 gb, so vl keep an eye on the DL side-by-side...vl report about dat 2moro...thx anyways...

4.9 gb downloaded from 2330 to 0755 hrs......from what it seems, i think, since i download too many torrents at a time (like y'day i downloaded 9), and most of them from public sites, wherein seeder-speed dwindles a lot, that would be the main reasons for lesser DL data. am pretty sure dat if i download just 1-3 torrents (of about 7-9 gb total) from pvt sites, the job would be finished in a single nite....that means there's no real prob (or so i guess)...:thumb:thx...

Back