MTNL Broadband is injecting ads on your computer pretending it's a feature

For me it happens as soon as i open my browser. It happened again today, the popup appeared, but since i had
blocked aphonoso it was a black popup. Means they are inserting a script. Now I have switched to openDNS
...lets see....

I started seeing it since yesterday. It appears on random pages. Those seeing it on broadbandforum.co probably do so because they frequent this site.
My guess is, it is adphonso who approached mtnl about their "service" and not the other way round. And it certainly is a huge invasion of privacy since adphonso at this point can see the sites you are visiting along with the contents of the pages since they are injecting their ad code in them. As in they are modifying the pages before they reach you. They however cannot inject their ad code into SSL encrypted pages. So if broadbandforum.co were using SSL (https://broadbandforum.co), you wouldn't see the popup on this site.
By the way, blocking adphonso.com will only make that popup invisible since their code will still be there.
And they definitely got their name from the mango. Look at their logo.
Edit:
Using OpenDNS will not work. Solution is to use SSL on as many sites as possible since they are injecting their ad code into web pages that are sent unencrypted to your browser. For sites that do not support SSL, you can use one of those web based proxies that support SSL. But they do not work properly with all sites. Best solution is to use VPN...

time to tweet mtnl if they actually will do anything about this : not sure if they even have twitter a/c

Adphonso site is used to show the popup in iframe. But more code is being loaded from MTNL servers. So you have to block both of them.
The IP address of the MTNL server to be blocked is 203.94.243.40 (at least for me). You can block it in your Windows firewall (google about how to do it).
Without blocking the server, it will show a blank popup.

MTNL is modifying the "responses" that your browser receives from web servers. When you visit a website, your browser makes a request to the web server that is running the site. The web server then sends a response back to your browser using which it displays the web page. In cases where the popup is displayed, your browser is not receiving the original response sent by the web server. It instead receives a modified response with HTML code from the original response included in a frame.
Screenshot of the modified response: http://i59.tinypic.com/xlkyo2.png
So even if you block adphonso.com or 203.94.243.40, your browser will still receive these modified responses.

Everybody from Delhi should write to MTNL delhi in a bit "offensive" manner. Before this plague reaches MTNL mumbai!!
I am sure MTNL staff does not know that it is invasion of privacy.
Those with tech. knowledge dont have power, those with power dont have tech. knowledge.
And I always feel that in case of MTNL both hardly talk to each other, unless disaster happens!

weird how adphonso claim their patented technology to be the best in the world and yet use a very shitty host with high load and downtime . Most of the time the webserver is under high load . Probably they are using a free web host .
Also on their website i saw Nextra giving testimonial , this means nextra customers should also get affected by this .

Back