MTNL Broadband: Wi-Fi Connection.

• Thread starter Thread starter ppkakad
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 9,218

ppkakad

ISP
Mtnl
Guys i have 2 PCs in my house and i stay in Mumbai..I want to connect them through Wireless Adsl Modem+Router...Is the Wifi option good to have??I am thinking of buying one of the following routers...I am preferring Netgear and D-Link.What u all think???:confused:

Dlink2640t-3600rs

Netgear DG 834G-3650 rs

Linksys WAG 54G-4000rs
Also are there are any disadvantages in WIFI??Does the signal get weak if there are walls in between or doors?The point is i stay in the Bungalow with Ground+1st floor and all the 2 Pcs are on the first floor...Plz guide me as i am bit confused.Thanks.:)

if you want to get good data transfer between the two, get them on wired network. or think about investing in a IEEE 802.11n network which would be bloody expensive.

if you want to get good data transfer between the two, get them on wired network.

or think about investing in a IEEE 802.11n network which would be bloody expensive.

IEE 802.11n network??Whats this???I am ready to invest around 6000 rs for router and Wireless LAN card...What i want is hassle free connection...Thats it..

oh well. you would get terrible local speeds on a regular wireless connection. n is a faster wireless network but hardware is pretty expensive. the router alone would cost you 8000 bucks. think about getting them connected with ethernet cables. cheap and fast.

oh well. you would get terrible local speeds on a regular wireless connection.

n is a faster wireless network but hardware is pretty expensive.

the router alone would cost you 8000 bucks.

think about getting them connected with ethernet cables.

cheap and fast.

OH no...Thats really heartbreaking with what you are saying....I had almost planned to get a wireless router myself today....But i am feeling really disheartened...:wall:I thought WI FI would be the easier and convenient!!

it is exactly what you think it is. i am just saying it won't be fast enough. in fact streaming music files from one pc to another would not be smooth enough. thats my experience though. i could be wrong!

@adminBut dude if incase i am not happy with my wireless connection,,i do can connect ethernet cables to that same router and make it wired!!!This can be a good idea right??The only thing i will regret is of buying the Lan card extra and a few extra bucks for the router....But other than this,i do can convert a wireless router into a wired connection as u are saying...

if you get a router and not just an access point. of course.

----------

PCs should have LAN ports already. every PC does nowadays.

I know Pc has Lan port...What i am saying is that i do can use the same wireless router which is used to send the wireless signals as a normal router....Even the wireless routers give provisions to the users to connect 4 Pcs simultaneously thru Lan wires...Look at this Netgear router below which i am planning to buy...It has 4 ports...What say??

yes sire. just do not end up buying a wireless access point. this kind of a device would work fine for both lan and wifi.

Back