• Thread starter Thread starter dumb_man
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 1,243

dumb_man

ISP
MTNL
Dear fellow forum users,
I am on the MTNL DSL 550 plan which gives download speeds of up to 1 Mbps from 7am to 7 pm and up to 1.5 Mbps from 7pm to 7 am.
I do not switch off or reboot my router for weeks together at a time.
When I am using the internet in the early evening the download speed is 1 Mbps and it remains 1 Mbps even after 7 pm if I do not reboot the router. If I do not reboot the router, I do get 1.5 Mbps but at a time closer to midnight
However, if I reboot the router after 7 pm the download speed does change to 1.5 Mbps
Do I have to reboot the router every day after 7 pm to get the 1.5 Mbps speed?
Its a bit of a hassle to reboot the router daily and that's why I thought of asking for your opinion on the matter.....
I am using the MTNL speed test site to check my download speed (http://203.94.227.93:8080/speed/)
Regards
Dumb Man

A new pppoe session is required to get the speed after 7pm. If you have a connect/disconnect button on your router page, that's sufficient to start a new pppoe session, no need to reboot router.
Incidentally, a new pppoe session is required to downgrade the speed too and that mtnl does by itself in the morning, the speed upgrade is left in users' hands (or until the session times out by itself - when I last had mtnl it was 10 hours max for a session)

Yes you have to reboot router. Its not automatic.
You can switch to bridged mode and set up auto-reconnection. I do not know how to do that in windows.

Ok, but dont you all find it pretty strange that MTNL can reduce the speed of the connection automatically from 1.5 Mbps to 1 Mbps at 7am without requiring me to reboot the router?
If they can reduce the speed automatically to 1 Mbps at 7 am, then I am unable to understand why they cannot increase the speed automatically at 7pm....

Earlier they used to do that too. i.e. increase speed automatically. But for some reason they have stopped doing it.
May be because speed increase is their loss and speed decrease is their gain.

Back