MTS MBlaze Ultra in Ubuntu 14.04?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sai
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 6,462

Sai

ISP
Tata
My cousin bought MTS MBlaze Ultra modem. Its not getting connected in Ubuntu 14.04. Here is lsusb output

Its not showing up in the add mobile broadband page in network settings. He tried with an old deactivated MTS dongle. Its getting connected. Any suggestions to fix this thing?.

Update-
Cousin is either getting a dongle with Wi-Fi or moving to Photon. I couldn't figure out steps to connect. MTS support is dead. Asked in Ubuntu forums. They said its a common modem (Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E1552/E1800/E173 (HSPA modem) and it must work in Ubuntu unless MTS/Huawei changed something.
For anyone reading this, planning to buy this thing and use in Ubuntu PC?, you better look elsewhere. If you have this and struggling to connect, try using wvdial or usbmodeswitch. The idiots at Huawei made microSD card reader as primary function and modem as secondary. Should have been opposite. Ubuntu is recognizing it as card reader not as modem.
Don't know why these ISPs dont care Linux, that too in 2014.

I had used my cousin's MTS dongle on 12.04 a year back. Connected in a jiffy. Easy as a punch.

Never tried any other dongle with Trusty though.

Update-
Cousin is either getting a dongle with Wi-Fi or moving to Photon. I couldn't figure out steps to connect. MTS support is dead. Asked in Ubuntu forums. They said its a common modem (Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E1552/E1800/E173 (HSPA modem) and it must work in Ubuntu unless MTS/Huawei changed something.
For anyone reading this, planning to buy this thing and use in Ubuntu PC?, you better look elsewhere. If you have this and struggling to connect, try using wvdial or usbmodeswitch. The idiots at Huawei made microSD card reader as primary function and modem as secondary. Should have been opposite. Ubuntu is recognizing it as card reader not as modem.
Don't know why these ISPs dont care Linux, that too in 2014.
You should be knowing the hardware name and model before posting doubts regarding Linux as it is quiet handy. Both(ZTE AC3633 and Huawei EC315) the modems are supported in Ubuntu. make sure usb_modeswitch and ModemManager is installed. if so, go to Network manager applet in RHS top side and activate the connection.

Back