MTS MBlaze Ultra WiFi - Is it advisable?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deepika24
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 25,952
ISP
BSNL
Hi,
I wanted to get the MTS MBlaze Ultra Wifi and saw that the price on the MTS site was Rs 1499. However, when I went to the
local MTS shop (in Calicut, Kerala) to get a prepaid dongle, they said it would cost Rs 2500.
The price on their site is apparently for the post-paid version.
Which is strange, because both are exactly the same device.
While at the local MTS store, I also heard disconcerting stories from a couple of post-paid customers on how they get
hefty bills every month and MTS apparently does not send them the statements on time. (I think they only get an SMS...)
These customers have to go to the MTS store and hound the people there so that they know where exactly the huge amounts
are coming from.
Just wanted some feedback on MTS in general and whether it is safe to go for a post-paid connection.
Conversely, is it worth paying Rs 1000 extra for a prepaid dongle, with the assurance that they can't hit you with huge,
unexpected bills?
One other question. The nearest mobile tower is about 1 km from my house. There are coconut trees in between and some
two-storey houses, but no tall structures at present. I heard that the frequency MTS operates at (800 MHz?) can penetrate
through obstacles better than what the other GSM guys use. Any feedback on this?
I have an Idea 3G dongle (max 7.2 Mbps, I think) and it gives me pathetic speeds (50 - 200 kilo bits per sec) most of the
time. Idea uses the same mobile tower.
I also have a BSNL broadband connection, which is truly horrible. So I am stuck.
Your feedback and views is much appreciated!
Thanks!
Deepika

Hi Deepika,
MTS is charging Rs. 1000 extra for prepaid as it will provide 10 GB free for first month.
I am using MTS Mblaze Ultra from past 3-4 months.
I am getting consistent speeds of 3-4 Mbps.
I am using prepaid Rs. 999 plan.
I prefer prepaid as it is hassle free and no tensions for huge bills also !
I bought simple modem for Rs. 1300 with 10 GB bundled data.
Then I bought a TP-Link MR3020 3G router to create a Wifi connection with my MTS data card.
Also reagarding the MTS coverage.
I live in Bangalore. Unfortunately all the 3G connections like Idea 3g, BSNL 3g, Aircel 3g failed to work at my residence.
But luckily MTS Mblaze Ultra works flawlessly and I am getting somewhere between 80-100% signal strength with a CRC9 external antenna.
Without external antenna signal strength is around 60-80%.
Tower is around 2-3 kms away from my residence. Ping rates are also great.

Thanks for your reply!
I didn't know that you can fix an external antenna to a dongle. How much does that cost?
Thanks!
Deepika

External Antenna slot depends on modem to modem.
I have a MTS Huawei EC306 modem. It has an external antenna slot.
My friend has a MTS ZTE modem. It doesn't have an external antenna slot.
You can enquire from the MTS showroom if the modem that you are buying has external antenna slot or not.

I bought CRC9 external antenna from ebay for about Rs. 600.
CRC9 antennas are very effective with CDMA based data cards.
It really improves the signal strength and also the data speeds are very consistent with external antennas.

Thanks, that clarifies matters!
While I'm at it, let me see if getting an external antenna can improve my Idea 3G dongle speed. There does seem to be a slot of some sort on the dongle, its covered by a small flap. Presumably that's the slot for the antenna.
Thanks!

Well the postpaid plans have fup after usage get over that means you wont get bill surprise. Regarding the coverage issue i think best is call the shop owner that you are interested in postpaid connection but you need a demo first. I think they earn more commission in postpaid so would be more eager to give one.

What gizmo guy said is true regarding bundled usage free with prepaid thats why initial cost is high. But currently postpaid plans are more beneficial specially the 999 plan which gives 40Gb instead of 20GB in prepaid. so 1499+999 in postpaid will give you 40GB instead of initial 10GB in prepaid.
i am using it in Delhi, onto my third month no bill surprise till now.

igloo said:
Well the postpaid plans have fup after usage get over that means you wont get bill surprise. Regarding the coverage issue i think best is call the shop owner that you are interested in postpaid connection but you need a demo first. I think they earn more commission in postpaid so would be more eager to give one.

What gizmo guy said is true regarding bundled usage free with prepaid thats why initial cost is high. But currently postpaid plans are more beneficial specially the 999 plan which gives 40Gb instead of 20GB in prepaid. so 1499+999 in postpaid will give you 40GB instead of initial 10GB in prepaid.
i am using it in Delhi, onto my third month no bill surprise till now.
Can you please let me know what is the final bill amount for 999 plan inclusive of all taxes?
also can anyone post the speedtest.net results for the same?
Thanks!

999-75(discount)+12.36%tax=Rs.1038

75 discount first i thought was for ebill but i got it twice now so may be for the device for first 10 months, i am not sure because only for AP state it is written on website but i am not complaining.

Don't buy it before seeing to a demo at exact place where you gonna use it most, that way you won't need to worry about antennae stuff as mentioned by someone in another mts thread.

Check out my Speedtest result.https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/834462952

Ps i am from delhi circle

Visit a nearest show listed on mts site, i think he'll be happy to give you a demo if you show interest in postpaid one.

Back