• Thread starter Thread starter datacrazy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 2,696

datacrazy

ISP
MTNL
Hello all,

I came across this isite while tryng to trouleshoot the issues I was facing with settng up my network - but couldnt find the exact answer.

Here is the rundown -

When I connect UT-300R2U directly to my laptop (ethernet), I can access nternet provided I ave setup TCP/IP to predefined values. If I leave TCP/IP option as 'automatic', internet doesnt work.

I want to use a Linksys WRTU54G router (tmobile router for wireles networks + home line)- but when I connect the router (MTNL modem--> router --> laptop+ phone) my internet connection doesnt work (wired or wireles) and neithr does the phone.

I came across this post and trie something similar based on feedback on another site but it didnt work out

Socrates?s experience: How to configure Linksys WRT54G wireless router

I will really appreciate it if you can help me fix this issue!

Your post does not give much in details (eg: did u make any changes to the modem settings) but from your 3rd para it seems that if your phone is dead when connected thru the router then it’s possible your wiring is wrong. Have you connected the phone to the splitter? Also please remember that your modem (just saw the user guide as I don’t use this piece ;)) and the Linksys router use the same IP ie: 192.168.1.1. if you see the blog you mentioned it asks to change the IP in the Linksys router.did you do that & rest of the instructions.

PS: I am also assuming you are referring to Linksys WRT54G router :)

Hi Socrates, I did change the IP address as mentioned in that blog (is that your blog btw?) however it didnt work. The router I have is WRTU54G - its it had 4 ethernet & 2 phone line ports - usually sold by Tmobile in US for their @ home line. When I said the phone line, I meant my phone line thru therouter (T-mobile line). Here is the configMTNL land line -->MTNL modem(works) + MTNL phone (works)MTNL modem --> lnksys router --> laptop (doesnt work)+ VOIP line (doesnt work)

OIC. I thought there was a typo in the model no. :) as I drew a blank when I checked the India page. Its possible that the settings in the modem are for the previous ISP, try resetting the modem & see if that helps. Also the modem should be in PPPoE mode & the router 'Internet Connection Type' should be 'DHCP'. Hope this helps.

Hecks I can't even find this model on the US site :(. Found only this http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=17588&p_created=1229935976

Can book complaint to mtnl that net not connecting ....and let them bang there heads why Linksys is not connecting :))

Can book complaint to mtnl that net not connecting ....

and let them bang there heads why Linksys is not connecting :))

I doubt if that will help as its a self owned unit. MTNL will put up their hands say 'yeh apka laaya hua hai, aap teek karlo' :happy:

I doubt if that will help as its a self owned unit. MTNL will put up their hands say 'yeh apka laaya hua hai, aap teek karlo'

heh.. and that, my friend, is one more reason why it was a good idea to let MTNL give me a modem/router instead of me getting my own! :-)

heh.. and that, my friend, is one more reason why it was a good idea to let MTNL give me a modem/router instead of me getting my own! :-)

A lot of people told me that before I went in for my own h/w & MTNL did try that stunt on me but when I showed them the error of their ways, (http://socrates0.blogspot.com/2005/09/mtnl-adsl-broadband-n-mumbai.html) they had to admit that it was their fault & had to do the needful :whistle:. In fact when I had the problem of over metering of my usage their server room guys actually told me that 'They don't know what the problem is'!!!!!!!! even though they were 'observing the problem' & would call me once a week for over a month to check about it. :)

MTNL land line -->MTNL modem(works) + MTNL phone (works)

Also see:
Answer
Test in LAN mode . then wifi.
Para two:
MTNL modem --> lnksys router --> laptop (doesnt work)+ VOIP line (doesnt work)
What is the unit you use for VOIP ?
My setup Modem==vonage== phone for VOIP
...............................vonage==>Wifirouter==>laptop1 in wifi
laptop2 in lan mode.

Leave the Phone ports unused ( In Linksys router)

Back