• Thread starter Thread starter Outlander
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 3,385

Outlander

Regular
ISP
BSNL
I have a desktop and a laptop. The laptop has wireless, but the desktop doesn't. I have BSNL modem Huawei MT 882. So if I buy a wireless modem; what else will I have to add to the desktop to make it wireless as well. My computer guy calls it a dongle, but what is it called in technical terms, so that I can search for it.

My computer guy says I'll first have to get this:

TP-LINK TD-W8951ND 150Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router: Flipkart.com

Does anyone know of any better one. It has to be ADSL and wireless and router.

That TP-Link is an ADSL2+ Modem Router which your technician suggest, will replace your current Huawei Modem so that you can access Wifi thru your Laptop.

for making Desktop Wireless, you have to buy one of these..
Wireless USB Adapters - Buy Wireless USB Adapters Online at Best Prices in India - Network Components : Computers | Flipkart.com
This Dongle(Wireless USB Adaptor) will connect with your Desktop's USB port and will let you access Wifi..
(Sorry, Can't suggest which one is good - cos i don't have any need)

Are these things easy to install and can I do it all on my own? Because the computer guy is charging some 400 rs extra on the router than the price available on flipkart. He says its a complicated installing. I already know how to change settings on my Huawei modem, by opening the 192.168.1.1 page.

errm. you are trying to add wireless support to your desktop. you need to buy a wireless card or something that connects to usb. this is sort of complicated. as cheaper cards available in the market might not be compatible with your OS. so you need to ensure that the model you purchase works with the OS you are using.

Thanks a lot. I'll buy these things first and if I have a problem installing, I'll ask here. One last thing - I'm planning to place the wireless modem upstairs and the desktop downstairs. That won't cause a problem, will it?

A friend suggested buying just this:
Netgear WGR614 Wireless-N 150 Router: Flipkart.com

Will it do?

TP-Link
have better range in wifi then all other budget class router ......and you need better wifi because you planning to place the wireless modem upstairs and the desktop downstairs

and Netgear router u mention that is basic router so if u planing to buy this u have to use BSNL router tooo

telephone line > bsnl modem >netgear wifi router

Back