ONT recommendations for new Airtel Xstream Broadband connection?

• Thread starter Thread starter stroper
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 3,588
ISP
Airtel Fiber
Hello everyone,

I have subscribed (paid) to Airtel fiber and pending installation. My current ISP is ACT and I am using AX series router by configuring PPPoE connection credentials. I would like to setup the ONT supplied by Airtel in bridge mode in order to use AX series router handle routing and avoid double NAT. I will be calling AirTel requesting bridge mode enable once the ONT is setup by the technician. I understand that the ONT that I receive can be from brands like Nokia, ZTE, etc.

Are there any specific ONT model that you recommend for stable speed? Do we have a choice in picking up a specific ONT during installation?

Any further help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

@stroper get Airtel to configure Bridge mode on the router. They do it via their backend servers. Once done, you can use your own router. The technician can help you through this process during installation. The type of Airtel supplied router doesn't matter with bridge mode as it acts like a dumb ONT. Your AX series router will establish the main connection via PPPoE and perform routing and firewall duty.

@Chip Is static IP necessary for bridge mode? I asked my local Airtel technician, he said you have to get static IP from Airtel for bridge mode to work.

no, its not necessary. you can enable bridge mode by yourself. you don't even need airtels help for this.

@xtreameFibre static IP and bridge mode are 2 different things. You need not get a static IP for bridge mode. Just raise a request for bridge mode with Airtel and they'll push the config to your ONT remotely.

Back