Out of Tata Sky`s basic bouquet, ESPN cries foul

• Thread starter Thread starter icar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 3,704
In pure unfettered capitalism, every party works to his advantage. ESPN would benefit if it could force every customer to pay. TS customers would benefit if they could pay only if they want to watch it. The presence of TRAI and severe restrictions on everything from transponder usage to government mandated rate cards to censorship make us a cross between an ass and a mule, and a recipe for disaster. If the HC says ESPN's policy is OK, how the hell are rules forcing broadcasters to offer channels a-la-carte OK?

By moving the package Tata Sky is in Win-win situation. If people don't opt for the new package, he(customer) won't need to pay to ESPN. But they will be paying Rs.15 extra as per the new plans. Profit for TS and Espn will be affected :D If people opt for the Espn package then they will go to ESPN. No loos to TS :(

Now Tatasky can say they have reduced the rate (actually increased by Rs.15) and get more money.

Probably they have kept their absolute profit same. so if they were earning say 50Rs for 300Rs pack they are earning same 50Rs now in 250Rs pack!so for ppl who do not want sports package, atleast TS wont have any loss in profit!and if ppl go for sports channel they get additional profit!

Thats marketing :)Some Customers are happy, Some will never be (Like me!) and some will not raise any voice. Let The channels suffer, we still are earning a good sum of money with 2 million subscribers and carriage fee from the broadcasters. It is like generating a small revenue from a small business to fund the bigger business. I will not be surprised if Tata Sky goes public.I have learnt a lot from the Tata experience. Good for me :)

i thought star sports had some connections with star which has some connection with sky...

anyways, if Tata Sky needs to help customers, they need to provide them option to pick their own channels not bouquet of channels.

ESPN-STAR Sports (ESS) is seperate company operated in JV by ESPN (US) & STAR (Asia). So ESS channels were available on DISH TV long before STAR channels were available.
Still can't understand why ESS could have conflict with TATASKY which is also a part of STAR (like ESS). May be due to TATA's business policy effect

If the HC says ESPN's policy is OK, how the hell are rules forcing broadcasters to offer channels a-la-carte OK?
That could be biggest irony by Govt/TRAI

Back