• Thread starter Thread starter Shivaharsh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 118
  • Views Views 35,316
Status
Not open for further replies.
@john is that not what I said?

@Legend 22nd, tops, I think.

So once the CPE's come, it'll take you around 15 days to move into a new city?

So once the CPE's come, it'll take you around 15 days to move into a new city?

I'm talking Mumbai, worst case scenario.

Other cities have too many other factors... could be 2 weeks, could be 2 months.

Depends a lot more on the city, customer density, infrastructure etc than anything else. Like Delhi is a huge challenge simply because it is so vast an area.

We'll probably end up building out in a star-formation in cities like that in order to get maximum range in minimal time, then improve interconnectivity between the different neighbourhoods as quickly as possible.

We'll probably have to quadruple our workforce in the next 2-3 months to get all this done (but so worth it). If anyone knows any cabling engineers, tell them to get in touch with me.

Great stuff. So assuming the CPE's come sometime this month... Delhi by mid-August? Possible?

I'm talking Mumbai, worst case scenario.

Other cities have too many other factors... could be 2 weeks, could be 2 months.

Depends a lot more on the city, customer density, infrastructure etc than anything else. Like Delhi is a huge challenge simply because it is so vast an area.

We'll probably end up building out in a star-formation in cities like that in order to get maximum range in minimal time, then improve interconnectivity between the different neighbourhoods as quickly as possible.

We'll probably have to quadruple our workforce in the next 2-3 months to get all this done (but so worth it). If anyone knows any cabling engineers, tell them to get in touch with me.

I'll suggest contact AirTel cabling ppl secretly.. One thing is for sure,Airtel lay down their cabling,wires etc in a professional way regardless if its within home or outside home premises !

ffs, i down a lot of 1080p movies...so a 150 gb limit would be crap for me. And after all i wanted to know what would happen if i exceed the imaginary limit. ?

I agree that 1080p movies make a huge difference when it comes to awesome quality viewing, but even a 1080p movie is like 8-10GB/movie. So, even if you d/l one a day(i mean max of one a day, that is a lot to watch, right!) and the fact that you would not be downloading on some days, you would not go beyond a max of 250-300GB, so whats the big fuss? I would say that even besides high quality movies, there is a lot more data that we all use the entire day and evening, and that getting 250-300GB is definitely good enough until the formats of the stuff on the net and file sizes got bigger dramatically. On the other side, yes, we need to see the "walk the talk" from Hayai now, CPE or whatever the reason is. The forum has been going on and going for ages now, we need to see the website showing dates of launch etc. !

What part of "there is no limit" do you not understand?

We're far more reasonable than any other ISP in India, but if you still don't like it, please don't subscribe, noone is forcing you to.

If you don't want to be at all limited, you will need to move to scandinavia- pretty much no ISP almost anywhere in the world would tolerate over a terabyte a month.

many other isps are reasonable too

i think what people aren't understandin here is that you again and again mentioning abuse of bandwidth,stop saying that as people just get into thinking that you will limit their usage

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 AM ----------

It has been discussed, but people downloading BD rips, or in some cases, playstation network and xbox live, although I've just started talking to the respective distribution networks about putting their appliances in our network so that this usage might not be counted.

I think 250gb a month should be sufficient for all but a select few... That works out to 2 DVD rips a day. Or 1 DVD DL. But for anyone who has that kind of time to watch a movie a day, I envy you :)

I'd say in this particular case we would be within our rights to refuse service, it appears clear that he wishes to abuse the network to the detriment of others.

Like I said though, if most of that was traffic to other users on our network, then there would be no concern at all. So if if used 200gb of international traffic and 1 terabyte of local traffic, it's al good - a terabyte a month is nothing for a 1gbit/s connection.

As such, it would depend entirely on where his traffic originates as to whether we would be concerned :)

again PSN and XBOX LIVE have different content for every region and mostly nothing for INDIAN as indian barely buy anything that costs much

I suggest that Hayai create a forum accessible only to Hayai subscribers so that everyone can collectively plan downloads. For example if I wanted to downloaded a particular movie or whatever and if already another subscriber has downloaded it and he is willing to transfer that to my system, I'll be happy as it will be faster and I could do the same for him, in addition the ISP will be rid of a lot of traffic and unnecessary d/l.I think mgcarley should look into this.

in simple terms. an ISP cannot be seen as a party involved in making it easier for their users to pirate copyright medium. so i do not think he would be interested in setting up something officially.

I'll suggest contact AirTel cabling ppl secretly.. One thing is for sure,Airtel lay down their cabling,wires etc in a professional way regardless if its within home or outside home premises !

We don't need to be secret about it. We have account managers within Airtel already who could arrange and/or co-ordinate with teams in other cities to get cabling done if needed.

I agree that 1080p movies make a huge difference when it comes to awesome quality viewing, but even a 1080p movie is like 8-10GB/movie. So, even if you d/l one a day(i mean max of one a day, that is a lot to watch, right!) and the fact that you would not be downloading on some days, you would not go beyond a max of 250-300GB, so whats the big fuss? I would say that even besides high quality movies, there is a lot more data that we all use the entire day and evening, and that getting 250-300GB is definitely good enough until the formats of the stuff on the net and file sizes got bigger dramatically. On the other side, yes, we need to see the "walk the talk" from Hayai now, CPE or whatever the reason is. The forum has been going on and going for ages now, we need to see the website showing dates of launch etc. !

Can't give one until the things are cleared, otherwise I'm just pulling dates out of my ass. Don't want to make that mistake twice.

many other isps are reasonable too

They are being reasonable how? By defining absolute limits, you mean?

i think what people aren't understandin here is that you again and again mentioning abuse of bandwidth,stop saying that as people just get into thinking that you will limit their usage

We will limit usage - BUT ONLY IF a particular customers usage is adversely affecting other customers. HOWEVER, what we see as network abuse is probably a lot different to other ISPs.

Yes you can get fully unlimited access from MTNL or whatever but there are some fairly fundamental differences between them and us, including but not limited to the fact that we're not currently subsidized by the government, but otherwise very few - if any - ISPs will provide even as much as 1Mbit/s without some kind of FUP.

Most ISPs essentially say that "use any more than X GB and we will limit your speed". The prescribed limits are essentially what they are calling "network abuse", and with the exception of an Rs8000+ plan from Airtel, none of these FUPs are more than 151GB.

We on the other hand are applying FUPs to only select customers who are blatantly taking advantage - although I've thrown numebrs about like 150GB for the 5mbit/s plan, but these are averages across all customers.

Therefore, in actual fact it might be 300 or 500GB of *international* usage for the top few customers because when combined with the usage of ALL customers, the average use per customer might be significantly less... so if we have 1000 customers downloading ~100GB per month, then it would be possible for a small number of customers (let's say 10 for argument's sake) to download 300 or 500GB without attracting too much attention.

again PSN and XBOX LIVE have different content for every region and mostly nothing for INDIAN as indian barely buy anything that costs much

Again, I'm aware of that, but we would be trying to cache or mirror whatever we can so that we can not only save on our international bandwidth usage but also then try and include the files in question in the Hayai Zone so that you as a customer do not get charged for it.

I suggest that Hayai create a forum accessible only to Hayai subscribers so that everyone can collectively plan downloads.

For example if I wanted to downloaded a particular movie or whatever and if already another subscriber has downloaded it and he is willing to transfer that to my system, I'll be happy as it will be faster and I could do the same for him, in addition the ISP will be rid of a lot of traffic and unnecessary d/l.

I think mgcarley should look into this.

in simple terms. an ISP cannot be seen as a party involved in making it easier for their users to pirate copyright medium.

so i do not think he would be interested in setting up something officially.

Agree with @admin. I think this should be something that a customer would have to set up. Blind eye blind eye blind eye something about local customers using DC++ so you can just search through people's shared files or even P2P file transfers through Skype etc... blind eye blind eye blind eye la la la la I can't hear you :D

Obviously I talking about sharing data which is freely licensed. How an we ever think of downloading movies, music, software and games by violating the copyright ? :D:DAnyway, any idea how to setup a 24X7 DC++ hub for sharing perfectly sharable and freely licensed data in an absolutely legal manner thereby not infringing upon any copyrights ? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back