Recipe for killing Internet in India

• Thread starter Thread starter DigitalDude
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 36
  • Views Views 4,581
Thats the image other countries are getting. No one knows exact happenings there coz internet content available there are controlled by the govt and all blogs are constantly monitored. If you start a Chinese version of broadbandforum, Sushubh, definitely you will be behind bars or worst will disappear for ever :rofl::yahoo::thumbsup:
Same is the case in Myanmar where China decides on what should happen.
but the services there dont suck :D

Sundaram Fasteners opened their factory in China and became fully functional in a Week. It would take years in India.

whatever happens there, is not important. we all know so many things in India are coming from china and that too at cheap rates (even if quality is not guaranteed) and technology wise its far ahead, thats for sure. we need to look at that.

The comments are based on a misconception created by the TOI report which is incorrect.

Please see my detailed comments at Naavi's portal on indian cyber law.

My brief comments are given here:

The correct position on the legislation regarding Internet Intermeidary liability in India is as follows.

ITA 2000 provided that there would be exemption from liability for the Network Service Providers when any contrvention or offence under ITA 2000 was committed if they follow "Due Diligence". Ths required every Network service provider to put in place a compliance programme which covered network security, user education programme, evidence maintenance etc.

The expert committee which went for a review suggested that "A Network Service Provider shall not be liable under any law except when there is conspiracy and abetment". This was endorsed for the amendment Bill which was before the parliament for approval and referred to the parliamentary committee.

According to the report, this committee has suggested that the amendment is not required. IOW it is suggesting the status quo to be continued. (We are awaiting for the recommendations to be made public after which I will correct my statement if required).

The report misleads by suggesting that the Intermediary will be made liable for every message that passes through the system (Hence the reference to telephone).

This is not correct. The "due diligence" applies to "Stored Content" such as the cases where Orkut.com maintains web pages and refuses to remove the content when it is legitimately contested. It applies to Cyber cafes who refuse to maintain a minimum information on who accessed the system. It may apply to an ISP which refuses to maintain access logs etc. It may also apply to an auction website which allows sale of illegal goods despite notice and Matrimonial and Job sites which may cheat the customers.

Regulating theses kind of activities is not "Killing Internet". It is "Fostering Responsible Use of Internet".

The TOI report appeared to have been planted by vested interests who want to run portals without any social responsibility. This attitude of irresponsible journalsim needs to be condemned as a "Fraud on the Public".

yes thanks! media many times is responsible for hype and rumors. and then they will again create hype if govt thinks abt regulations.

heh, well front page news and not fact checking amounts to scare tactics to get attention.Last time i checked TOI is a broadsheet (i wonder how long for)...not a tabloid,

i always thot TOI was TOI-let paper of India :)

i urge to all to visit this site Save the Internet : Fighting for Internet Freedom

This is big,if net neutrality fails then big companies would choose what to show and what not.
not even george orwell could have imagined this.

google net neutrality

the internet ws created for anonymous and free from any controls but sadly big brother wants to control the last domain of freedom.

the answer to 1984 is 1776

Indian Peopls=This is madness , this is blasphemy...........!!Indian Govt= Madness? Thissssss Issssssss Indiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa and insanity. Well why Tajmahal? why not Indian Govt, politician were conducted for 7 wonder of the world?

Back