Reliance Jio Fiber Router are broadcasting hidden SSID even when Wi-Fi is disabled

• Thread starter Thread starter f3rmion
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 97
  • Views Views 42,168
therefore, my IoT devices act weirdly sometimes when I disable my router SSID. They get connected to the Jio gateway, and I always used to think that problem is in my Asus router. -_-
Yeah problem is with Jio gateway, I discovered it when my ubiquiti AP discovered interference on RF Scan

I don't think this is a problem, rather I have two theories :

The things I'm stating here after is purely my guess based upon the facts and situation.

There could be two possible reasons for doing something like this,

First reason, I suspect that Jio will be using these hidden APs to auto configure the pairing process of their soon to be launched range of connected devices (cameras etc.) using My Jio app. Given the history of jio it is more than possible that these devices will only work on JIO's network and thus unlike traditional smart devices will lack an option to manually select Wireless network, as we all have seen in the case of JIO Voice.

Second reason could be to boost their cellular/hotspot network. Since no one would voluntarily want to participate in such a trial which involves sharing their WiFi credentials, Jio sneakily issued a firmware update enabling this "feature", Jio's network already uses TR-069 auto configuration so technically they could simply switch our WiFi on whenever they want, but in order to maintain "security", they issued a firmware update which caused this problem (causing interference as the router interface lacks an option to select WiFi channel). Since they already have our WiFi credentials, they can share those credentials temporarily using a secure medium to provide their "services".

excitel seems to be doing the same thing. these companies really need to offer a dumb onu if the customer so demands. airtel is also doing the same thing and is providing options to manage router through their app. all this seems nice on paper but is a massive annoyance for anyone who wants more control over his network.

Back