Sharing MTNL Triband Broadband on multiple computers with wi-fi connectivity

• Thread starter Thread starter scotyard
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 154
  • Views Views 47,917

scotyard

ISP
mtnl
hi i have a utstarcom adsl modem, a computer, and a laptop(with wi-fi). i have a few questions here: 1) How can i connect the two pc's together? i tried using a regular RJ-45 ethernet cable(with which you connect the pc to a adsl modem), and set different ips to each pc, but they still couldn't detect each other. i also fiddled with a few properties in control panel and networking but to no use. 2) How can i connect both the pc and the laptop to the adsl modem with wire, so as to access the internet connection? again i tried this but to no avail. 3) What wireless router will i have to buy to connect to the net with my laptop wirelessly and through my desktop(in a wired way).What is the model no. and the price? also how should i configure it? Thanks! Wow a big one hugh? take a break now............ Cheers!

Ok listen up... heres what you gotta do.

You have 3 things with you currently:

1. Computer - lets call it A
2. Laptop - lets call it B
3. ADSL router - lets call it C

Now, you need to have a wireless router inorder to connect C to A and B.

You need to buy a wifi router. umm...buy Netgear WGR614. Comes pretty cheap. Its around 2000 bucks or less.

Lets call that router D. ok?

Heres how your connectivity will look:

Code:
MTNL line ----1----> C ---2---> D ---3----> A                                |                                |----4----->B
1, 2, 3, 4 are links.

1 is the MTNL's telephone line
2 is a LAN cable
3, 4 are wifi links.

3 can be a LAN cable too i.e. if your PC doesn't have a wifi card.

Now, the configuration part. You can use DHCP or static IPs for your network to configure the machines. I would recommend static IPs. Once configured, they're less of hassle.

Step 1: Establish internal connectivity

Lets suppose A is connected to D through LAN cable.

On the wifi router you'll find several LAN sockets numbered from 1 to 4. Connect one end of the LAN cable to any of those sockets and then connect the end to A. This establishes link No. 3

Now, switch on A. Go to control panel -> Network connections -> LAN ( Ethernet ) connection. Configure it as:

Code:
IP -> 192.168.1.5Subnet mask -> 255.255.255.0Gateway -> 192.168.1.1DNS -> 192.168.1.1
Now, open a browser and type 192.168.1.1

You should see the configuration wizard. Ignore it. ( read the manual to bypass the wizard since its router specific ).

Now, configure the wireless interface on the wifi router. Here you need to enter the following:

ESSID and the Encryption

Set the ESSID to say, HOMENET ( use upper case ) and encryption to WEP or WPA. Check if your laptop supports WPA. If not, use WEP ( Note: WEP is weaker than WPA ). Here you'll also need to set a key. Enter a passphrase and it'll make a key for you. Copy the key and save it on your computer. Keep it safe as you'll need it in just a while!

Now, go to the DHCP settings, disable DHCP.

Then go to the LAN Settings, change the IP range of the router from 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255 to 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255. THIS IS IMPORTANT.

Now, save and reboot the router. At this point your wifi router will not be accessible from A.

Now, fireup the laptop, search for wireless networks using the windows wizard. Once it finds the network connect to it. At this point it'll prompt you for the key. Copy and paste the key that you had stored on your computer a while ago.

Now you are connected to the wireless network! This establishes link no. 4

After this step, go to the wireless network connection. There set the network connections properties to:

Code:
IP -> 192.168.1.10Subnet mask -> 255.255.255.0Gateway -> 192.168.1.1DNS -> 192.168.1.1
Note, only the IP has changed. Rest all settings are common to A's settings.

Now, A and B are setup. Lets see if they can talk with each other.

Remember, disable all firewall softwares BEFORE you try this:

On B, Go to start menu -> run -> type cmd.exe

Now you'll get a command prompt.

type -> ping 192.168.1.5

If you see something like:

Code:
Reply from 192.168.1.5: bytes=32 time

someone tell me the correct title for this thread.

@sushubh, Sharing MTNL broadband on multiple computers with wifi connectivity?

Back