Sharing MTNL Triband Broadband on multiple computers with wi-fi connectivity

• Thread starter Thread starter scotyard
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 154
  • Views Views 47,923
Netgear is sh*t compared to Linksys or buffalo..if u have a choice then buy either of these brands

Ok. possibly. but i've not yet faced any problems from my netgear router.

rachit_1804, sound advice by netfreak :) Go for it.

well, Netgear are a bit cheaper than Linksys and buffalo and they are decent for their price.

Hi guys,thanks for replies, just one more thing.......does all routers support the ADSL internet (like we have in India by MTNL/AIRTEL) or I have to ask for some specific model. I am thinking about Linksys one as it is the best. In US, I am using COX Cable internet and the router I saw in the store all support this stuff and I was wondering if they also support ADSL internet provided by MTNL.Please advise.

You can buy Linksys, it has ADSL modem and router in one device. Thats easier to configure.

thanx 4 the info...

my prob. is that i want to use this wireless router 4 both my connections, sify as well as mtnl

If i want to use with sify, i need a wireless router Linksys WRT54G or any other Netgear equivalent.

Code:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1149562300349&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

If i want to use with mtnl, i need a wireless ADSL router Linksys WAG200G or any other netgear equivalent.

Code:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=FI%2FLayout&cid=1149562535734&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

so is there any wireless router available that i can buy & use 4 both sify & mtnl??

rachit, umm...dude you're very confused. You _can_ use 1 wireless router for both your connections. But you'll have to be careful how you go about setting up things.

firstly, hats off to max for a very easy to follow tutorial on how to setup a wifi connection.
since i have mtnl triband's dsl 849NU package, i was looking out for a wireless router (only) that will be very easy to configure with the mtnl connection.
the reason i only need the wireless router and not the adsl modem built-in is coz i already have the dsl-502t adsl modem provided by mtnl themselves.
i found that Linksys wrt54 is the most compatible and widely used wireless router with an mtnl connection.
but there r two models here....WRT54G and WRT54GC
personally, the gc model is much more sleeker but which one wud be more compatible, reliable and easy to configure with my dsl 849NU?
also, i wud like to use more than one wifi devices and another device, the pc will be connected thru ethernet.
is all of this possible with both of the above two models of the linksys wireless router?
thanx.

Ok I got my Linksys WRT300N wireless router working:

1. Setup-> Basic Setup
[*]Automatic Setup DHCP
[*]Change IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1
[*]Subnet: 255.255.255.0
[*]Enable DHCP server
[/list]Save settings

2. The basic Wireless setup and wireless security are the same as explained by MAX Max:)

Save settings

Re-boot router and it should work

The DSL 502T modem has TCP/IP set as 1. Obtain an IP address automatically and 2.Pref DNS 203.94.227.70 and alternate DNS:203.94.243.70

Now I need to get some sleep and get a life. Thanks Max.

Gerry

Hi Everyone,I am new to this forum and found this thread very useful.Have another question. I have a small office where I have a MTNL broadband connection. I have installed a Linksys wireless router and made it a wireless network. The problem is that MTNL broadband keeps on disconnecting in between. I am looking at a solution where i could have 2 ISPs (Airtel/ MTNL) and have them configured on a dual WAN switch which will do the load balacing/ failover. Any suggestions? which switch to use for this kind of setup or any other solutions? Thanks Rajesh

There are two options:
1. Buy a router that supports two WAN ports. Will cost something like 10k
2. Install DD-WRT on Linksys router. That will:
a. Enable you to convert one of the LAN ports to WAN port
b. Have two (or more) ISP connections terminated on this router.

Details: Dual WAN - DD-WRT Wiki

Thanks Netfreak, Will the DD-WRT give me the load balancing and failover? Tried going thru the details but am not very clear yet. Will have to spend more time to understand this :-) Do you know any wireless router that supports 2 WAN ports? ANy model/ make? Basically, I am looking at a smooth wireless internet access for all the users from this office. Any solution?

Back