SNR and line attenuation

• Thread starter Thread starter ridam
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 13,415
yeah but .. its better to have the best line naa!!!! feels good that nothing is wrong with connection... reducing attenution.. might give some boost in download speeds .. hopefully :)

if you are already getting good download speeds(1.8-2mbps & avg speed ~1.8mbps) then no further improvement can be expected.also line attn depends on how far away are you from local exchange so if you are away from local exchange by any distance larger than few hundred meters your attn will be 2 digits & you can only reduce it by a value of 1-1.5 at most.PS--i know one user whose line attn is 32 even greater than mine & he gets more download speeds than me(~2mbps avg)so it also depends on local exchange.

if you are already getting good download speeds(1.8-2mbps & avg speed ~1.8mbps) then no further improvement can be expected.also line attn depends on how far away are you from local exchange so if you are away from local exchange by any distance larger than few hundred meters your attn will be 2 digits & you can only reduce it by a value of 1-1.5 at most.

PS--i know one user whose line attn is 32 even greater than mine & he gets more download speeds than me(~2mbps avg)so it also depends on local exchange.

my exchange is nor more than 1.5 - 2 kms away would not take more than 2 mins in car .. and today i did notice that i've been geting some strange noise disturbance in telephone ..

i am around 2KM away from local exchange & my attn downstream is 29 so your value of 26 seems good to me.as for getting some strange noise in phone make sure that you heard it in receiver not the speaker phone option which may be a false signal due to feedback.

you heard it in receiver not the speaker phone option which may be a false signal due to feedback.

I dont use speaker phone it was in the receiver. Sounded as if a generator is going on in phone.. but light and constatnt sound. no ups or downs just plain sound... yep still its there

/members/wizz/Check your ADSL splitter.( usually make "FUNJIN " supplied by BSNL ) ALL phones after this filter.If you have to connect a phone ( due to Internal wiring ) You can Use one ADSL splitter for each PHone connected. BUt ONLY one ADSL splitter for the Modem line. ( signal will get attenuated ).I don't know whether I am repeating again, this info here in this thread.

/members/wizz/
Check your ADSL splitter.( usually make "FUNJIN " supplied by BSNL ) ALL phones after this filter.
If you have to connect a phone ( due to Internal wiring ) You can Use one ADSL splitter for each PHone connected.
BUt ONLY one ADSL splitter for the Modem line. ( signal will get attenuated ).
I don't know whether I am repeating again, this info here in this thread.

@SBB, What is the emphasis in 'BUt ONLY one ADSL splitter for the Modem line. ( signal will get attenuated)' ?? Before I took broadband, the original telephone line had a box with some-PCB inside it? Does this PCB also cause any additional attenuation and shd I remove it and connect the line straight to ADSL-splitter ??

/members/draog/
the original telephone line had a box with some-PCB inside it? Does this PCB also cause any additional attenuation and shd I remove it and connect the line straight to ADSL-splitter
Good .Got the point.
Check SNR/attn/line speed with present setup.
By pass the BSNL old Box and recheck.
Post data. "Before" and "After" change
No screen shots now.
Always test and reach own conclusion and post results here.
Everyone benefits with the info provided.

/members/draog/
Good .Got the point.
Check SNR/attn/line speed with present setup.
By pass the BSNL old Box and recheck.
Post data. "Before" and "After" change
No screen shots now.
Always test and reach own conclusion and post results here.
Everyone benefits with the info provided.

In fact, I had tried the above a couple of days back and did not find much difference in the SNR/Attenutation. I had tried after reading an article (here or somewhere) that the original-PCB is a low-pass filter (and thought may suppress the data-one signal)... But after seeing the results I thought either the low-pass-filter pcb failed and become all-pass or there is something wrong in the way I connected.. I thought I shd get an expert's theoretical advice on this before trying any more tests !!! Perhaps others also may try the SBB's suggestions and post the results here..

Back