Static IP address provisioning process

• Thread starter Thread starter MrGordon
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 239
  • Views Views 34,141
Ok, so I finally got my SIP v4 today, 6 days after the request. :rolleyes:

The tech, who is v prompt normally, said he is overloaded with complaints/new connections etc etc. Somewhere I feel Airtel did a cost cutting exercise last year ie trimmed their staff and most of the complaints about their support emanates from this issue. Either this, OR business is booming and the staff is overloaded but no additional staff have been onboarded to tackle the load.

@Chip Their business is growing last year they covered many new places for broadband connection

Yes, you could be right. Then I think they need to ramp up staff most certainly in metros and large cities to cater to additional workload.

Why wasn't SIPv4 automatically assigned for you? You are in Pune right?
I had to ask to assign it and they did within a day

Why do you assume it is assigned in a day in all cities? It would depend on some factors including available IP pool for the city/State.

Remember, I took a SIP for the 2nd time around and on BOTH occasions it took over 4-5 days to get it. That's why I mentioned in an earlier post that it may take time in larger cities and my hunch was proved right.

nah I thought they automatically assigned that to everyone.

EDIT: Uh wait never mind.. you are talking about static IP. Why did I think you were referring to the VOIP config 😅

I am trying to get a static IP here (on prepaid)
image.png

This guy's job title was "head of FTTH operations" and previously worked at Jio..

So in my case, the other day when the technician visited my house, he showed me a WhatsApp message with the details of the static IP allocation. Surprisingly it had a date of March 1, 2023.

SR submitted on the Airtel app - Feb 27, 2023
Callback confirming static IP request - Feb 28, 2023
Static IP address allocation (based on details learned on March 8) - March 1, 2023
First scheduled technician visit - March 2, 2023
2nd technician visit post escalation - March 8, 2023

iaMsiKO.png

It appears, the internal processes seem more or less streamlined, it's just the lack of training given to the technician. Once the static IP address was allocated on March 1, 2023, the workflow automatically scheduled a technician visit, but the technician had not clue what needed to be done. So in my case above, the entire process should have been complete by March 2nd.

When it comes to training, the technicians catering to home users very very rarely get a task to configure static IP address, which can explain the lack of training or awareness.

Yea, and what I have noticed is they use their own terms for things that they don't understand, the field engineer was refering to CGNAT as "static karna" lol

Again, it may be a city to city thing I m not sure guys. But I had to jump through several hoops and escalations before I got it. The 1st request was a technical problem, the same thing was changed to remove static IP and finally they got it right only because I called the tech directly to cut out the $hit heads in the call centre. Seriously some of these CC guys are next level dumb man!

Psst...YMMV so I won't say my experience applies to all.

Back