Static IP address provisioning process

• Thread starter Thread starter MrGordon
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 239
  • Views Views 34,129
BTW I was sent a screen shot of the IP and I configured it in pfSense. Job done in 3 mins including basic ping tests. But IPv6 does not work..just like last time.

@Chip use pppoe credential for ipv6

@Sayantan I don't have an option to use PPPoE for v6 in pfSense.

It should automatically get a IPv6 address along with a dynamic IPv4. Then you need to configure it in such a way that it prefers the static IP instead of the dynamic one

@Chip What I did is, created a PPPoE profile for v4 and v6, but just assigned a higher distance for the PPPoE route, so the static IP IPv4 route is preferred over the PPPoE IPv4 route.

For some reason pfSense just doesn't get a v6 with a SIPv4. I tried all options...just refuses to work

@MrGordon in pfSense each interface has 1 config page where you do all settings. I cannot configure different profiles for the same interface.

PS - It's the same with Tata Play ...dynamic ipv4 (cgnat) + static ipv6. But it needs the dynamic v4 to get a v6 address.

@Chip Got it. Isn't it possible to create a new configuration for the same physical interface? Or say create a virtual interface that you can link the configuration to.

I could (but not checked), but for what purpose? IPv6...what does it offer me over a public IPv4 at least in today's world? I've been getting a v6 address via TPBB so it's really no big deal.

For me I only get 1gbps when I use static ipv4 with pppoe ipv6
On ipv4 alone I get around 600-650mbps

@Chip Create two interfaces for same port. in first interface put static ip. in second, dial the pppoe with ipv4 and ipv6.
now go to System->Routing and select Default gateway IPv4 to static ip interface and Default gateway IPv6 to the pppoe interface. Job done.

Back