Suggest me a Modem cum Router with wi-fi

• Thread starter Thread starter mrbgupta
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 5,787
DG834 Family Support Page
It is Ok. DG 834G( you won't need another modem ). Try to get the latest version. VISTA Firmware update available for U.S and North America.
If the freq of wireless is different, access points may not be reached. I am not sure about this. Channels can be selected. This model has been discussed in this forum often.

Any other contributer : comments please.

But this model has been discussed in this forum often.

So you think it's not the most suitable comparing Lynksys or Buffalo?

This is Netgear's best-selling product. No surprise really: not only is the DG834G a breeze to set up, but it's also available at an excellent price. Usually it's around £70, but sometimes you'll find it at £60 or so. Beware though, since some of the cheaper versions can be slightly earlier models - version 2 as opposed to this latest version 3. You can still update the firmware slightly, but not to the level of version 3 as it has a completely different chipset.
Buffalo has been rated best ! costs more.
Check for Vista compatability. Firmware UPD for Vista available in netgear website.
I have SMC7004VWBRBarricade router only. My friend also using Netgear router without any problem. Guarantee period outside America is 2 Years.

May be this DG834G is like good old Ambassdor car. More users familiar with it !!!

Netgear looks good & for Linksys this is taken from uTorrent site

Special note for users with Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS routers, there are severe problems with them when running any P2P app (read for fix)

The following note does NOT apply to WRT54G/GS v5 and up! Use the latest official firmware (1.00.9+) with those, they do not suffer from this specific problem (though they do suffer from different problems).
The default firmware for Linksys (and all replacement firmwares except for the latest DD-WRT and HyperWRT Thibor) have a severe problem where they track old connections for FIVE days, which causes the router to hang when using P2P apps, or any software that generates a lot of connections. DHT only aggravates the situation because of the number of connections it generates.
Linksys has yet to address this issue

Back