• Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 3,775
Status
Not open for further replies.

power

supersupersuper...
ISP
TATA+Sify
Is anybody experiencing packet drops today on tata in mumbai ? I am gettiing 6-8% packet loss .. its unnoticeable while browsing but still there are request time out's in ping .

How do I check if I am getting packet loss or how do I know?

Well you can do a "ping Google -t" in start-->run and let it run for sometime and see if you get a "request timed out" .. I called up local person here he said there was problem in fiber so i think its only a problem in my area .

I am also experiencing packet loss while ping. Also the speed in RS is extreme slow..0-1KBPS. Browsing too is slow.

Well you can do a \"ping Google -t\" in start-->run and let it run for sometime and see if you get a \"request timed out\" .. I called up local person here he said there was problem in fiber so i think its only a problem in my area .

It tried that and the command window just closes.

I am also experiencing packet loss while ping. Also the speed in RS is extreme slow..0-1KBPS. Browsing too is slow.

Between Jun15 and jul 15 I was facing all these problems - slow download speed, frequent time out, unable to be on line for more than 10 minutes, impossible to download any file - I must have lodged about 10 CC complaints, had 5 visits from a service engineer. Even the dsl cable was changed. No improvement. Then suddenly the problem vanished, the service engineer during his last visit gave a service report "After ping command 1000 packets sent and 6 packet loss. It is zero percent loss."

I believe the problem was with the switch or the backend; he said that about 50 reliance customers shifted to Tata Sky in our area. Anyway, from Jul 15 , my connection is good and without problems.

What DSL cable was changed?
Twin core cable running from tata vsnl switch (installed in the terrace of our building) to the isolation/protection unit, which is connected to the adsl router. As I said, the cable was not the culprit.

Thats the LAN cable... usually it is CAT 5 or CAT 6 UTP (Solid or Stranded). If it is coming from a switch then its LAN connectivity being provided in your building by the provider... and not DSL ..for DSL and ADSL you have to use Modem / Router before you connect to the NIC on your Computer.For more information on the LAN Wiring and setup plz check the following resource that I found....-->"hXXp://www.zytrax.com/tech/layer_1/cables/tech_lan.htm"Note: Change XX to tt in the above link address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back