Tata Sky Broadband: Static IPV6 - Unable to Configure

@Realme no matter what kind of appliance you use, no network is 100% safe from hackers. Even secret service agencies and the best protected Corporations/Companies in the world lose their business secrets to black hats. The common link? Static router or network gateway WAN IPs.

So the idea is to keep as safe as possible using sensible and implementable 'best practices' if I may call them that for us home users, not that we have national secrets or anything but trojans and ransomware should be of particular concern to us all.

Also, the kind of routers that are installed by ISPs have very basic protection (firewalls) and if possible one should delineate the network 'responsibilities/roles' to different boxes to prevent a single point of failure for e.g via a hardware problem (I had to recover one of my AC APs from a brick state last week), router hijack/malware etc. I also set the router to switch off WiFi radios from 1 am to 6 pm, reduce tranceiver signal strength for a deliberately limited range, automatically set routers to reboot every few days, backup router configurations among other things that could be done by anybody with some interest and basic knowledge in this subject. Hence I prefer a box to handle my firewall/IDS/IPS/WAN PPPoE authentication, and no home grade WiFi routers are good enough ever since I transitioned to pfSense >4 years ago.

Last edited:
Thats is the zen of Computer Security, I meant to ask in terms of cost/economic impact.

Does static vs dynamic arguement in terms of security and cost associated with it has significant impact nowadays?

Economic impact on whom? The user or the ISP? I don't think there's much of a cost differential if any to assign a static IP from a CG NATed address to a subscriber. Many ISPs charge extra..possibly only to discourage static IPs as they are then removed from a shared pool. Well, I mean if you MUST have a static address, suit yourself..but as I said before I prefer avoiding them.

On average how many attacks have you dealt with/detected per month on your overall home network?

some ISP disable ping from their end so that can be reason for no ping

Last edited by a moderator:
@Realme
I don't think it should be concerning about number of attacks as most portion of it would be scanbots searching for possible targets.
I real attack should include following characteristics-:
Direct access to traffic...
Access to devices for identity and data theft
Root access on router.
For him,I think possibility of this level of attack is meagre as most are concentrated around very important data sets,which includes secrets.
Except,you should think that it is better to work with phishing for noobs to loot noobs.
I mean no sensible attack would ever occur on a single person unless he holds important data which could be quoted at very high price.

On average how many attacks have you dealt with/detected per month on your overall home network?

There have been port scans and break in attempts on my router/firewall and my PCs detected by the firewall (both pfSense and Norton 360) logs and Snort IDS/IPS. Thing is:

a) I am not a 'valuable' target from a hackers point of view. There's no one single IP or country trying access my network. I have pfblockerNG to take care of it if I see a pattern.
b) Even if some malware or ransomware were to make it through I am prepared. Each my main PC data is backed up to about half a dozen cloud servers, plus I have encrypted disk image backups (128 bit AES, going back upto 2 weeks) on local disks, local PCs and 2 NAS boxes. The NAS boxes are kept switched off and switched on randomly, so nobody can do any monkey tricks. Ditto for my firewall. though it's on 24 hrs a day I reboot/restart it randomly. Configuration backed up locally and on thumb drives, Dropbox etc.

Yeah, someone may make it through to mess with my PC but one thing i know I will never be a victim of ransomware, SSD/hard disk crashes etc that plague most home users.

Back