Tata Sky DTH: Is Turner Classic Movies a very costly channel?

• Thread starter Thread starter starsky
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35
  • Views Views 12,675
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right dude..Many dont like to shell out 5k at a go.My subscription ends next month..My monthly cost is 530(after adding cosmo)I m in bit of a dilemma whether to continue with Tata Sky or Go for Airtel.For me yearly costwise both would nearly be same.

Their hidden agenda might to indirectly to make every one choose mega pack at 5500.But sure it can back fire.Airtel ultra pack for a fresh connection is 5450 for one year.many could opt for that.

If someone is ready to shell out 5500, he surely wouldn't worry about the 100 bucks that he would save on Airtel. Personally, 5500 is way too much to be spent for TV - 460 bucks a month. No way.

----------

You are right dude..Many dont like to shell out 5k at a go.
My subscription ends next month..My monthly cost is 530(after adding cosmo)
I m in bit of a dilemma whether to continue with Tata Sky or Go for Airtel.
For me yearly costwise both would nearly be same.

I was thinking this. If there is a good broadband connection at home, why not look up the list of movies to be telecast from the channel's website and download and watch them, ad free :D

Dude downloading and watching is the best option.Uncut and no ads.But that brings unlimited broadband speeds into the equation.(Not more than 512 kbps most cases)But you do get high quality Rips and most movies come around the 300 mb range.I always use my link-removed premium account compared to torrents.Makes downloading hassle free.But its not only about watching movie channels.

Well WB will always be in base packs of Dish TV since WB has a partnership with Zee. WB is a part of the Zee Turner package. And MGM, I am not sure of it but Zee previously had a tie-up sort of thing with this ch when they renamed the then Zee Movies to Zee MGM. Later Zee ended its partnership with MGM and Zee renamed Zee MGM to Zee Studio. After this MGM launched its independent ch in India on Dish TV exclusively, I guess because they were once in good terms with Zee. So maybe, thats why Dish TV still has MGM in the base packs. Anyways....We Dish TV users are missing NDTV Lumiere...!! :isorry:

Well WB will always be in base packs of Dish TV since WB has a partnership with Zee. WB is a part of the Zee Turner package. And MGM, I am not sure of it but Zee previously had a tie-up sort of thing with this ch when they renamed the then Zee Movies to Zee MGM. Later Zee ended its partnership with MGM and Zee renamed Zee MGM to Zee Studio. After this MGM launched its independent ch in India on Dish TV exclusively, I guess because they were once in good terms with Zee. So maybe, thats why Dish TV still has MGM in the base packs. Anyways....We Dish TV users are missing NDTV Lumiere...!! :isorry:

True... but applying same logic MGM has been on Star Den platform for distribution in India for more than a year but not on Tata Sky DTH...that seems bad. WB is half the price of REAL but REAL was launched on Tata Sky DTH on Day 1...must be the carriage fees......TCM is no more on Zee turner platforrm (distribution wise)....so that may be the reason for it disappearing from Dish TV .... I have not been able to find out who distributes it in India...if anyone has a clue let me know :)...The price can be found out only then...In fact Wikipedia says "it was available in India until March 2, 2009 exclusively on Dish TV along with Boomerang. It is no longer available in India."

TS cant add the channel at its launch as it lags on transponder so only it took them this much of time to add these channel and in future maybe for that reason only they are in IDEA to give MPEG-2/4 compatible STB to new customers :ashamed:

WB channel is free only for some months, then see the Rate they fix ok. And moreover, Tata Sky has given world movies channel free for some months. They gave star espn star and star cricket free for some months. have u forgotten all this buddy. I am not trying to say that Tatasky is great than anyone. I meant dont compare unnecessarily. then i would say look at the charges of espn star in sun dth. will u accept.. come on buddy.

Read the posts carefully. It is free for over 10 months are so. It was added long time back and it is still free till 2010 march. Not few days like TS gave.

Some time back dish tv removed TCM (along with Boomerang), and now Tata Sky has added it for a charge of Rs. 45 pm, including three other channels. Of these three channels, two channels (viz. MGM and WB) are still there in the base pack of dish TV which proves that they are not very costly. This indicates that either Lumiere or TCM, must be an expensive channel, but this possibility seems rare for Lumiere. Another thing is none of the cable operators are showing this channel (TCM) though IB ministry has given a permission to telecast this channel in India. Thus, is TCM a vey costly channel?

One more point is is it a right decision by Tata Sky DTH to keep the four movie channels together in one package, and that too so costly?

I don't think TCM is a costly channel, But i must say one thing overall the package cost of Cosmo pack is very high Rs.45 per months is very high for these four channels where WB and MGM are available in Dishtv base packs. like wise these channels were available on other DTH in base packs as well.

True... but applying same logic MGM has been on Star Den platform for distribution in India for more than a year but not on Tata Sky DTH...that seems bad. WB is half the price of REAL but REAL was launched on Tata Sky DTH on Day 1...must be the carriage fees......TCM is no more on Zee turner platforrm (distribution wise)....so that may be the reason for it disappearing from Dish TV .... I have not been able to find out who distributes it in India...if anyone has a clue let me know :)...The price can be found out only then...In fact Wikipedia says "it was available in India until March 2, 2009 exclusively on Dish TV along with Boomerang. It is no longer available in India."

You have a point. It was long time ago when MGM decided to offer their ch on other platforms as well rather than in Dish TV exclusively, and it was then that MGM decided to distribute it through Star Den on other platforms. I was always curious so as to why wasnt Tata Sky DTH adding this ch. Anyways..Tata Sky DTH has finally added it.

Secondly, can you confirm whether you are getting MGM India or MGM International ? What we Dish TV users get is the HongKong feed of MGM i.e. MGM Intl which has no ads at all and show timings are mentioned in HK/BK/IND. So are guys getting this feed or MGM India with only IND show timings and lots of ads...??? I am asking this coz I heard that MGM would offer this separate Indian feed i.e. MGM India to Star Den.

----------

I don't think TCM is a costly channel, But i must say one thing overall the package cost of Cosmo pack is very high Rs.45 per months is very high for these four channels where WB and MGM are available in Dishtv base packs. like wise these channels were available on other DTH in base packs as well.

Dude. You are contradicting yourself. If TCM is not costly, then why did Dish TV remove it ? Just coz it was removed from the Zee Turner platform. And since you say that "I don't think TCM is a costly channel" -- Then why couldnt Dish TV renew the contracts afresh and telecast the ch in collaboration with the new distributor ?

Yes Rs.45 pm for Cosmo pack is too much, but what about Rs.150 pm for TV5 Monde...??? And guess what...TV5 Monde is an FTA ch...!!! :hysterical: So "Rs.150 pm for 1 ch" is still cheap for you, after all you are a blind marketing guy from Dish TV...!! :@

Yes Rs.45 pm for Cosmo pack is too much, but what about Rs.150 pm for TV5 Monde...??? And guess what...TV5 Monde is an FTA ch...!!! :hysterical: So "Rs.150 pm for 1 ch" is still cheap for you, after all you are a blind marketing guy from Dish TV...!! :@[/QUOTE]that is correct, they simply needs reasons for nagging. Marketing guys huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back