Tata Sky DTH now replacing MPEG2 STBs with MPEG4 STBs for free!

• Thread starter Thread starter gopichandpai
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 166
  • Views Views 62,864
I am still using the Thompson box it is very good and durable have not faced and issues from the last 9 years. Would not want to switch to the new free box if quality is not up to the mark. Better to wait and watch on the feedback of users who got the free upgrade.

^ your box is 9yrs old which means its a mpeg2 stb and when they will migrate all channels mpeg4 you won't be able to view them with your current one.

I got an sms today saying that some english news channels won't be available from September 15 because of the MPEG-4 Shift. And have asked me whether I would like to replace my SD STB or not. Weird thing is that my SD Box is hardly 3 years old. Anyways I replied with yes and still waiting for their call. Let's see.

Will check if i have got any sms from them, meanwhile any review of the users who got the new box. I read mixed reviews stating the new interface is more complicated compare to the old thompson box. Also the response is slow and it takes more time to switch channels. The size is almost half of the new one, only worry is the card slot at the back with half card sticking out from the bank.

Got the new box. Everything seems to be same regarding the interface. The box is puny in comparison to previous one.

Dushie said:
Will check if i have got any sms from them, meanwhile any review of the users who got the new box. I read mixed reviews stating the new interface is more complicated compare to the old thompson box. Also the response is slow and it takes more time to switch channels. The size is almost half of the new one, only worry is the card slot at the back with half card sticking out from the bank.
All true !!!
The following post is only useful for someone wishing to upgrade to the HD box --
The interface is only slightly more complicated/sophisticated. The response is a little slower. I guess you'll get used to it after a while. There is no other option. Very soon they will migrate a channel you watch to MPEG4 and then what ?? The card does stick out from the back. But whats the big deal in that ? I used to get a "digicard cant be read" error on the older box randomly. I dont see that now. So thats a minor plus. Also that stupid yellow message icon bang in the top middle of the screen with the older box is now less frequent with the new one. And I am really enjoying the free HD access with it. Even if it means I only watch the EPL in HD, but I think I am ready to spend a 100 bucks a month only for that.

:O That was quick. Haven't received any call yet.
Yes. I have always got very quick service from TS. Interface is slower than before. All true !!!The interface is only slightly more complicated/sophisticated. The response is a little slower. I guess you'll get used to it after a while. There is no other option. Very soon they will migrate a channel you watch to MPEG4 and then what ?? The card does stick out from the back. But whats the big deal in that ? I used to get a "digicard cant be read" error on the older box randomly. I dont see that now. So thats a minor plus. Also that stupid yellow message icon bang in the top middle of the screen with the older box is now less frequent with the new one. And I am really enjoying the free HD access with it. Even if it means I only watch the EPL in HD, but I think I am ready to spend a 100 bucks a month only for that.
How are you watching HD on a SD box?

harry10 said:
Yes. I have always got very quick service from TS. Interface is slower than before.How are you watching HD on a SD box?
Oh....I upgraded to the HD box with free 1 month HD access for 990/- :playful:

Back