Times of India on Fair Usage Policy

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 134
  • Views Views 23,042
well local infrastructure and stuff obviously cost money especially in the absence of LLU and even with LLU there would be rental costs etc..but i was just referring to the int'l bandwidth part of the statement..*if* at all there is a bandwidth crunch in india, i would think its largely due to cartelisation rather than actual costs/availability of bandwidth..

LLU rental costs would probably be cheaper than what ISPs pay to cablewalas and the rental fees which subscribers also pay. There isn't really a bandwidth crunch, per se, but there are delivery issues on some networks that cause problems - most are fine, but a few are not.

that is a possibility of course. hard to find out the backend details. private companies, RTI is not going to work.

It's pretty straightforward to guess from looking glasses. A lot less than 10% of available capacity is utilized.

there are bigger problems than FUP now days mainly throttling of speeds on p2p and ytube. So even if someone buys a expensive plan with high FUP he isn't really getting any benefit...

Youtube is the last thing that should be throttled. With the availability of local caches (even Airtel has them, believe it or not!!) a 5+mbit/s net connection should be able to support 720p videos with no buffering no problem. I've demonstrated the same on my connection with 1080p.

Torrent throttling is fairly commonplace worldwide, and not necessarily a bad thing because then the network at least doesn't become so bogged down with torrent traffic that other legitimate services (VoD/IPTV, Streaming etc) fail completely. Even then, prioritization should be based on network activity, not permanently throttled to anything like 256k - if the network is mostly idle, let the torrents run, but if everyone is streaming stuff from the Indian equivalent of Netflix, let torrents be throttled just enough so that those services aren't affected.

^ the problem is that ur quoted numbers are based on a particular price point of buying for a reseller not the owner. to put it in a simple way i think international connectivity costs nothing for airtel and reliance. they might even have recovered their costs,who knows. I think BW is a part which the biggie's don't really care about specially for their own operations. The 2000 rs plan of airtel can be sold for 750 if they really want even with profits. But as @cyberwiz said all are in cross-subsidizing and cartelisation mode.

Maybe.Most submarine cables have a payback time of 5-10 years, but Indian companies in particular don't like having that much debt for that long. The Rs2,000 plan could probably be sold for a lot less than Rs2,000 but maybe not Rs750 - depends how much their infrastructure/overheads cost them.

Youtube is the last thing that should be throttled. With the availability of local caches (even Airtel has them, believe it or not!!) a 5+mbit/s net connection should be able to support 720p videos with no buffering no problem. I've demonstrated the same on my connection with 1080p.

Torrent throttling is fairly commonplace worldwide, and not necessarily a bad thing because then the network at least doesn't become so bogged down with torrent traffic that other legitimate services (VoD/IPTV, Streaming etc) fail completely. Even then, prioritization should be based on network activity, not permanently throttled to anything like 256k - if the network is mostly idle, let the torrents run, but if everyone is streaming stuff from the Indian equivalent of Netflix, let torrents be throttled just enough so that those services aren't affected.

ya I know was the 2nd poster there https://broadband.forum/hayai-broadband/72910-1080p-youtube-video-streaming-hayai/ 3MBps is enough for 720P and 1080P for 5MBps
and having a local cashe will surely make things much faster...

Screwing with torrents a bit maybe ok but say someone on 4MBps connection gets 52KBps or 100KBps speeds most of the time even when FUP is not finished thats just a rip off considering one is paying more than 2k PM fr it...or more...

INDIAN ISPs: why to bother with all this torrent throttling thing...just throttle the speed to 256kbps :x

yes they are targeting customers specifically and one of the reason I had to leave them.

so Airtel has now become like anna only target congress leave the rest...:sneaky:

2Mbps connection with a FUP of 25GB is certainly not fair.A FUP of a cap of maybe 75GB or so can though be considered fair.As for he ISP's that say that these FUP's are to provide speed benfits to usual users."If you are using such ridiculous limits on use I'd like to see a full 24hr uptime daily and get the exact speeds that I am promised and not even 10KBps less than that"

Back