Times of India on Fair Usage Policy

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 134
  • Views Views 23,042
Yeah i read it just after i posted that content!

"Mittal, however, concedes that given the availability of bandwidth in India, it may be difficult for ISPs to offer truly unlimited connections at a high speed."

is that a fact considering that Reliance and VSNL(tata) own teleglobe and FLAG telecom?

well i was largely speaking based on the statements by mathew. i do not know how cheap or expensive the bandwidth is for airtel. but it is going to be cheaper than 5 bucks. and even at these prices... asking unlimited plans with 5/10/20 mbps is sort of complicated for a fixed pricing like 2k/3k/5k. so i am just taking 5 bucks as a reasonable point. and assuming that 10 bucks per GB should be profitable enough for any decent ISP. and that means that customers should not be charged more than this amount no matter what plan they are on.they might have the networks but i would imagine that there is still a cost related to connectivity with international data centers and since majority of what we access is hosted in USA or probably europe... there would be costs. of course, there are also costs related to maintenance and expanding the network. and then there are salaries, local infrastructure, marketing blah blah. i am just taking the worst case scenario here.

well local infrastructure and stuff obviously cost money especially in the absence of LLU and even with LLU there would be rental costs etc..but i was just referring to the int'l bandwidth part of the statement..*if* at all there is a bandwidth crunch in india, i would think its largely due to cartelisation rather than actual costs/availability of bandwidth..

that is a possibility of course. hard to find out the backend details. private companies, RTI is not going to work.

@Sushubh congrats :)On topic:there are bigger problems than FUP now days mainly throttling of speeds on p2p and ytube. So even if someone buys a expensive plan with high FUP he isn't really getting any benefit...

well... sadly. throttling is hard to prove and is not even illegal in india. for example... i use vuze here for torrents, and i see it touch the peak speeds regularly. but a lot of airtel people say that their torrents are massively throttled.

yes they are targeting customers specifically and one of the reason I had to leave them.

^ the problem is that ur quoted numbers are based on a particular price point of buying for a reseller not the owner. to put it in a simple way i think international connectivity costs nothing for airtel and reliance. they might even have recovered their costs,who knows. I think BW is a part which the biggie's don't really care about specially for their own operations. The 2000 rs plan of airtel can be sold for 750 if they really want even with profits. But as @cyberwiz said all are in cross-subsidizing and cartelisation mode.

Back