TP-Link TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router

Check TP-Link TL-R480T+ Deals on: Flipkart | Amazon | Snapdeal | Paytm

Rs. 4250 on Amazon today

This arrived today and seems to be working fine. Though I realized the mistake soon enough. Ethernet ports in the front means that it is not really suited for home use. Designed for server racks. I have somehow managed to fit it under the table where it is not causing much of a mess. Still... Consider the lower end model (TP-Link TL-R470T+) which is probably a better model for home use.

I have configured it to switch from Excitel to Airtel when Excitel drops. If I take the Excitel cable out, switchover is instant. I have not any chance to see how long it takes when Excitel disappears from the backend. Nishant has the R470 model and he told me that it takes less than 10 seconds. Would post when I experience a downtime while I am sitting on the PC.

User interface of the load balancer backend is simple to understand. Performance seems to be good too. One major issue is that the ethernet ports are not gigabit so if your ISP is offering you 100mbps+ connectivity, these are not going to work for you. So this model is definitely not future proof.

Was facing some issues. Decided to switch to OpenWrt. Turned out the problem was with the Ethernet cable. Liked the performance of OpenWrt. Decided to keep it. it is kind of a messy conversion though. Even bricked the device once. A friend did it all for me. I wouldn't have dared to do it on my own.

USB-TTL adapter is your best when it comes to openwrt 😀

Yeah, I actually ended up couriering it because I did not want to do it myself. But seems to be running fine now on OpenWrt 19.07.3.

Back