Tplink Er605 load balancer router config

• Thread starter Thread starter Rickysin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 5,739
ISP
Jio fiber (300 mbps), airtel fiber (200 mbps)
Hi,

can anyone provide me steps for dual wan load balancing or fallover config ?

my requirement is :

wan 1 : airtel
Wan2 : jio

if wan1 fails then wan2 should get active. Detection time should be less than a minute. Is this possible ?

Yes it's possible and pretty straightforward in the UI..... are you not able to get it working?

@vishalrao wan1 is airtel and wan2 is jio.

I disabled load balancer and just enabled failover with primary as airtel and backup as jio.

Now the issue is that this router always prefer jio i.e. backup wan instead of primary wan. This happens when lets say airtel goes offline then backup wan i.e. jio takes over. Now when airtel comes back online it does not fallback to airtel and keeps connected to jio.

I also tried load balancer thing but that also prefers wan2 instead of wan1

Any solution ?

Try swapping the wan1 and wan2 cables...

So put jio on wan1 and airtel on wan2.

Swap the configurations too of course...

So now the setting will be fail over to wan1 if wan2 fails.

I don't recall if this is allowed but just enable bandwidth based load balancing and select wan2 airtel there and in the failover tab select wan1.

Also , there is bit more advanced configuration you can do...

Put both wan1 and wan2 in primary mode no failover setting. Try the following with and without load balancing.

In ip routing settings tab you can set policy routing for incoming and outgoing traffic to prefer airtel wan port...

So set source to lan and destination to airtel wan1, this is outgoing traffic. Set source to wan1 airtel and destination to ip_lan this is incoming traffic.

I have this setup for preference to my primary ISP and it switches faster to secondary for me.

So finally i was able to make link backup work.

Enabled load balancing then added link backup config to backup to jio if airtel fails. Kept online detection to auto for both wan.

the one additional thing that i did was enable dchp server on this router. Somehow my wifi router was not able to serve internet when one wan failed even though load balancer router was showing backup was as online.

fallover to backup wan is around 1 minute and 30 seconds and when primary wan comes online it switches to primary within 10 seconds

@Rickysin I returned my ER605 to online lt store they dont do returns but they gave me a credit note.
now moving on as @Lolita_Magnum suggested bought RB750GR3 from fgtech got it yesterday hired a certified consultant from Mikrotik website for RS 1200 and he set the link backup option over remote access.
Its true that router os is a bit tricky and I wont be able to do it ever I guess.
but this mikrotik is too good takes hardly 30 sec to switch to jio and vice versa.
Only con is that I had to borrow a windows laptop for configuration as its software winbox wont run on mac.
also @Lolita_Magnum can you confirm why they dont ship the product with original adapter for router and pack their own.

@Rickysin try the policy routing approach where both wan are active primary, no failover, but by default all traffic can be configured to go via one wan link and the other wan link is only used if first one has connectivity issues.

In this config I've noticed under 30 seconds to switchover and switch back between wan links.

Back