Trouble with New Hard Disk

• Thread starter Thread starter teftar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 5,223
god damn. this quick reply box has started eating words!

anyways. this was what i was writing...

you have to consider some basic facts here. link-removed or other similar services are primarily file sharing services.

they are not designed to be used for backup.

and they are mostly used for piracy (i guess you would admit to this).

so, they are always going to be under legal scanner. and might be forced to shut down.

services like backblaze and some others... they are primary used for backup of your system.

they are designed to be secure and offer ways to backup your computer automatically in the background. :)

Yup it is pretty good argument but shutting of link-removed is really far fetched idea since they they do remove any copyrighted item when a complaint is given. But i would really consider the backblaze in near future.

Depends on the speed of the disc (rpm). 5900 drives usually make sounds as they are low power drives and go into standby to conserve power. 7200 ones dont shut off hence do not need to wake up with the *click* that you hear. The LP in the drive name stands for LOW POWER. If you hear a sound while the drive is reading or writing large files, then you have a header problem and your drive will have to be RMA'ed

^All 1TB internal hdd's are 7200rpm ones but still they make that click or whirring sound while spinning-up.I suppose the sound has to do with double the number of platters (and hence a bigger motor) as compared to a 500GB hard disk.

My 7200.12s do not make any sound.You also get 1tb 5900 drives. AFAIK most WD green drives operate at 5900 rpm.

^All 1TB internal hdd's are 7200rpm ones but still they make that click or whirring sound while spinning-up.

I suppose the sound has to do with double the number of platters (and hence a bigger motor) as compared to a 500GB hard disk.

Erm, no, The barracuda LPs are 5900RPM, the WD Greens are 5400RPM. Where did you get this information that ALL internal 1TBs are 7200RPM?

Heres a chart, for you to compare.
Western Digital Green: WD Literature states that their Intellipower Technology varies their RPM from 5400-7200 (Real World benchmarks suggest they are 5400RPM)
Western Digital Blue: 7200RPM
Western Digital Black: 7200RPM (Dual processors in the drive, much much faster, and generates a lot of heat)
Western Digital VelociRaptor: 10,000RPM

Seagate Barracuda LP: 5900RPM
Seagate Barracuda: 7200PRM
Seagate Barracuda XT: 7200RPM (I guess they are specced to compete with the WD Blacks)

Samsung Spinpoint F3: 7200RPM
Samsung Spinpoint F4: 5400RPM

FYI, to the Original Poster, that noise you are experiencing, is common, both my 2TB Barracuda LPs shut down that way.

@admin: speaking of free online backup services, have you used Dropbox? I keep hearing good things about it. Their free service gives you 2Gigs of space, IIRC.

Erm, no, The barracuda LPs are 5900RPM, the WD Greens are 5400RPM. Where did you get this information that ALL internal 1TBs are 7200RPM?

Heres a chart, for you to compare.
Western Digital Green: WD Literature states that their Intellipower Technology varies their RPM from 5400-7200 (Real World benchmarks suggest they are 5400RPM)
Western Digital Blue: 7200RPM
Western Digital Black: 7200RPM (Dual processors in the drive, much much faster, and generates a lot of heat)
Western Digital VelociRaptor: 10,000RPM

Seagate Barracuda LP: 5900RPM
Seagate Barracuda: 7200PRM
Seagate Barracuda XT: 7200RPM (I guess they are specced to compete with the WD Blacks)

Samsung Spinpoint F3: 7200RPM
Samsung Spinpoint F4: 5400RPM

FYI, to the Original Poster, that noise you are experiencing, is common, both my 2TB Barracuda LPs shut down that way.

@admin: speaking of free online backup services, have you used Dropbox? I keep hearing good things about it. Their free service gives you 2Gigs of space, IIRC.

Thank you sir for clarifying my doubt now i can rest easy.

Just ordered Lian Li Ex-50 external hard disk drive enclosure.

Do Seagate Barracuda LP support hot swap function.

Hey! Congrats on the Enclosure, im getting it for myself soon as well :) As for the Hot Swap function, all Sata drives are Hot Swappable.EDIT: IF ever you do feel that one of your Seagates is failing, remember Seagate has a disk check utility called Seatools, you can get it from their website, download that, run the tests. If (hopefully not, for the Hard Drives and Data integrity's sake) one of the tests fails, it'll generate an error code, which is something you need, if you want to launch an RMA with Seagate.

Hey! Congrats on the Enclosure, im getting it for myself soon as well :) As for the Hot Swap function, all Sata drives are Hot Swappable.

Thank you. Better you order it now since the shipping takes about 6-8 weeks.:)

EDIT: IF ever you do feel that one of your Seagates is failing, remember Seagate has a disk check utility called Seatools, you can get it from their website, download that, run the tests. If (hopefully not, for the Hard Drives and Data integrity's sake) one of the tests fails, it'll generate an error code, which is something you need, if you want to launch an RMA with Seagate.

Thanks for the tip just downloaded this and ran a smart scan all is well for now.

Thank you. Better you order it now since the shipping takes about 6-8 weeks.:)

Where are you ordering it from? I'm gonna get it soon from Sudhir a.k.a (Phoenix on Techenclave) who is a Lian Li dealer in Mumbai

Where are you ordering it from? I'm gonna get it soon from Sudhir a.k.a (Phoenix on Techenclave) who is a Lian Li dealer in Mumbai

I am also ordering it from Sudir as far as i can see he is the only Lian Li dealer in India.

Back