• Thread starter Thread starter Chinmay
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 2,592

Chinmay

Fivenet Lover
ISP
Fivenet+ Hathway
Hey guyz linux noob here,My PC specs r as follows-Intel C2D 1.86 Ghz(1066 FSB, 4 MB L2 cache)3 GB DDR2 RAM @ 667 Mhz360 GB harddiskIntel 946gz motherboard with 256 MB onboard graphicsXFX nvidia 9600GT 512MB DDR3 memoery @ 700 MhzSo,d problem is I can run ubuntu 8.04 (or newer versions 8.10 or 9.04) on onboard graphics but unable to run on nvidia graphics card;I switch d display via BIOS utility by pressing "delete" key before startup and select "Int Graphics" when I want to run "Ubuntu", since my monitor supports dual i/p1. Analog-> Onboard via VGA cable2. Digital-> XFX nvidia graphics card via DVI cable.When I select digital i/p i.e graphics card, ubuntu hangs on booting screen, d screen where ubuntu logo is displayed and scrolling bar moves from left to right.I have installed ubuntu on my harddrive, but even with d live cd the problem still persists.Note- I can perfectly boot ubuntu with Analog i/p i.e selecting onboard displayPlease help me regarding this,Also I have downloaded latest nvidia drivers for 9600GT from nvidia website in .deb package or .run format, but how to include this in booting.Like in windows xp, when you do clean install for d first time, since ur OS doesnt detect specified drivers for ur card, it boots in VGA mode where d adapter in "Standard VGA adaptor" which displays lower/poor resolution than d OS with proper drivers, atleast it gives u time to install drivers.Here in ubuntu, it doesnt even start OS.And absolutely no problem here in windows XP/vista.Note- I m complete noob, I even struggle with those bash sudo commands, so please help me in detail, and if possible suggest some GUI alternative(Like click here, go there, instead of type sudo in terminal)Expect Good REPS from me...:thumbsup:

First thing to try... reboot and let boot menu appear and select the first linux item (dont press enter). Then press "e" to edit the menu entry. Again there may be multiple lines, then highlight the line starting with "kernel" again dont press enter press "e"... go to the end of the line and add " vga=795" with a space before "vga". See VESA BIOS Extensions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to get the right number, I have guessed 795 for resolution 1280x1024 and 24-bit colours.. after adding vga item press enter then press "b" to boot.

Does that work? Report back yes or no with updated details whether same issue or some other error... then we can think of next steps...

You may need to updated mobo with latest BIOS and search net for Ubuntu kernel boot params to help it detect your nvidia instead of disabled onboard video chip... but we'll see that in next steps...

thanks will try this today..One thing I forgot to tell u my monitor's default resolution is 1600x900(16:9 widescreen HD); will that affect booting in any case??

should not be a problem. it can still display low end resolutions. i remember the time when i accidentally enabled ultra low resolution. :D around 320x180.

yup you can try vga=792 (or 867) from looking at that table i guess... not earlier 795 as i had mentioned...

Back